Discuss Power shower wiring in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

When you say powershower what exactly do you mean. Is it just a booster pump located remote from the shower in the loft or something or is it a full on high powered electric job? Give us some more info mate;) happy to help.

Cheers................Howard

When you say powershower what exactly do you mean. Is it just a booster pump located remote from the shower in the loft or something or is it a full on high powered electric job? Give us some more info mate;) happy to help.

Cheers................Howard

It's a wall mounted power shower fed by domestc hot and cold.I don't want to run it off a main circuit ony to have it fail an inspection

I wouldnt myself if you put in a 9.5kW shower thats maximum is 41 amps not much good on a ring that has a 32amp MCB in the CU. Besides you want to be whiter than white for your assessment.

Chris

I wouldnt myself if you put in a 9.5kW shower thats maximum is 41 amps not much good on a ring that has a 32amp MCB in the CU. Besides you want to be whiter than white for your assessment.

Chris

who mentioned 9.5kw. He asked about power shower not electric. Power showers draw low current no more than a couple of amps

plumber came to mine said sorry chap no power sower for you as i have a combi boiler .. so i fixed my old redring zeta 10.9k wifey is happy again ... plumber said its illigal to have powershower on combi..

as long the circuit is RCD if not spur off to a rcd switched spurbox ... should be in regs then ..

Last edited by a moderator:
Power showers can of course be taken off another circuit.

And not only a ring final circuit.

No reason why a lighting circuit can't be used if necessary.

just looked at some diagrams for powershowers.

C) Electrical
1. The electrical installation must be in
accordance with current BS. 7671
(I.E.E. regulations).
2. The unit should be connected into a switched
3 amp double pole fused spur, with a
minimum contact gap of 3mm in each pole.
The switch must be fitted outside the
bathroom.
Alternatively, a double pole ceiling switch, with
a pull cord and a minimum contact gap of
3mm in each pole could be used inside the
bathroom.
For additional safety, it is recommended that a
residual current device be used with either of
the above switches.
3. The earth continuity conductor of the
electrical installation MUST BE effectively
connected electrically to all exposed parts of
the appliances and services in the room in
which the water heater is to be installed in
conformity with the current BS. 7671 (I.E.E.
wiring regulations).
WARNING : THIS APPLIANCE MUST BE
EARTHED.
4. We recommend using 1.0mm2 Twin and Earth
cable for this application. Connect the mains
cable in to the terminal block, ensuring that all
power is switched off before connecting to the
mains supply.
Recommended order : -
a) Strip back wire approximately 6.0mm.
b) Ensure wires are secure in the correct
terminal block holes.
c) Ensure that the mains cable is securely
clamped in the cable clamp provided
on the backplate.
5. Schematic wiring diagram.

schem ... DP switch nothing at all about RCD .. but the regs do say anything in zone 0,1,2 use RCD 30ma

Yep.. done one recently.
Electric shower conversion to pumped mixer shower.
Used the old 6mm for the old 8.5KW electric shower, into an FCU, fused at 3amps, and from the RCD side of the board. Flex cable from the pump into the load side of the FCU.

Was very convenient as the old shower cable ran through the airing cupboard anyway, where the new shower booster pump was installed. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
who mentioned 9.5kw. He asked about power shower not electric. Power showers draw low current no more than a couple of amps

This may sound silly but how come they are only small ampage? Is it just a pump that pumps the water out? Whereas an electric shower heats the water too?

just looked at some diagrams for powershowers.

C) Electrical
1. The electrical installation must be in
accordance with current BS. 7671
(I.E.E. regulations).
2. The unit should be connected into a switched
3 amp double pole fused spur, with a
minimum contact gap of 3mm in each pole.
The switch must be fitted outside the
bathroom.
Alternatively, a double pole ceiling switch, with
a pull cord and a minimum contact gap of
3mm in each pole could be used inside the
bathroom.
For additional safety, it is recommended that a
residual current device be used with either of
the above switches.

3. The earth continuity conductor of the
electrical installation MUST BE effectively
connected electrically to all exposed parts of
the appliances and services in the room in
which the water heater is to be installed in
conformity with the current BS. 7671 (I.E.E.
wiring regulations).
WARNING : THIS APPLIANCE MUST BE
EARTHED.
4. We recommend using 1.0mm2 Twin and Earth
cable for this application. Connect the mains
cable in to the terminal block, ensuring that all
power is switched off before connecting to the
mains supply.
Recommended order : -
a) Strip back wire approximately 6.0mm.
b) Ensure wires are secure in the correct
terminal block holes.
c) Ensure that the mains cable is securely
clamped in the cable clamp provided
on the backplate.
5. Schematic wiring diagram.

schem ... DP switch nothing at all about RCD .. but the regs do say anything in zone 0,1,2 use RCD 30ma

You may want to read this again ;)

Reply to Power shower wiring in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net