Discuss power to garage/shed/outbuilding in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

mdgibbs32

Hi All

Quick question on the rgs, I know im getting old and loosing the plot, but does it say anywhere in the regs that power to a garage/shed/outbuilding must come from the CU of the main builiding (or spliting the tails and supplying via own cu). If it doesnt then theoretically you could take it from a plug socket for example which seems nuts to me.

Trouble is i cant see anywhere in the green book that says.

If it does say it let me have the ref please

cheers all

thanks engineer54...seems crazy to me as could have fault in shed tripping house rcd... but i guess that can be taken care of with discrimination with the garage cu and rcd

Sorry that was meant for Engineer54 He should know how to stop the un wanted tripping it's all in the .................

I though you would of known how to get over this problem, not as experienced as you thought lol

What problem?? Think before you jump in with both feet, and make yourself look even more foolish than you are!! lol!!

please guys...i only asked a simple question about the dreaded green book and if something was actually covered, lets not fall out over discrimination !!

IF you do do it off a socket circuit, just make sure you have DP isolation at that point so when the tripping starts you can isolate the outside with a flick of a switch.

Think before you jump in with both feet,

power to garage/shed/outbuilding {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Wouldn't it make more sense to install a RCD in the out building with it's own stake etc hence prevents all that nuisance tripping that's wot my mate down the road said

Wouldn't it make more sense to install a RCD in the out building with it's own stake etc hence prevents all that nuisance tripping that's wot my mate down the road said

Always keen to learn from someone more experienced.

If you put the outbuilding on its own RCD and rod, how does that prevent nuisance tripping of a similar RCD at the supply end (assuming we're talking about supplying an outbuilding from a socket circuit protected by a 30mA RCD)?

My mate saids somethiny about not connecting the earthy on the supply to the shed at the shed endy, but connect the shed earthy to it's own earthing rod so it's got it's own earthing arrangement or something like that and he don't thinkies that any earthy leakies at the shed would operates the RCD at the housey he tells me the RCD at the shedy should operates but I'm not so sure as he's only a plumbers but he is from pholandy
Always keen to learn from someone more experienced.

If you put the outbuilding on its own RCD and rod, how does that prevent nuisance tripping of a similar RCD at the supply end (assuming we're talking about supplying an outbuilding from a socket circuit protected by a 30mA RCD)?

My mate saids somethiny about not connecting the earthy on the supply to the shed at the shed endy, but connect the shed earthy to it's own earthing rod so it's got it's own earthing arrangement or something like that and he don't thinkies that any earthy leakies at the shed would operates the RCD at the housey he tells me the RCD at the shedy should operates but I'm not so sure as he's only a plumbers but he is from pholandy

And what do you say?

Is that a serious answer or just a wind-up?

Reply to power to garage/shed/outbuilding in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock