Discuss power to garage in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

jeffy

hey, if i was to put power into a garage would the feed in the consumer unit have to be an rcbo and then the main incomer in the garage be rcd protected as well or do you only need an rcd at the garage end? the c/u in the house is old and only has rewireable fuses, if it needed to supply the garage through an rcbo im assuming a new board would have to be installed?
thanks for your help.

The requirement for RCD protection of cables is dependent on the type of cable and the installation method. See 522.6 in the BGB.

hey, if i was to put power into a garage would the feed in the consumer unit have to be an rcbo and then the main incomer in the garage be rcd protected as well or do you only need an rcd at the garage end? the c/u in the house is old and only has rewireable fuses, if it needed to supply the garage through an rcbo im assuming a new board would have to be installed?
thanks for your help.

If you were to use SWA cable from a spare way in the Consumer Unit you would not need an RCD until you get to the garage.

How much power is required in the garage? If it's just a socket and light then use an RCBO in a separate enclosure next to the original Consumer Unit.

If the Garage is going to be more of a Workshop then supply via SWA and fit a RCD protected garage consumer unit.

Please posts as much information (demand, route, distance etc) as possible to help with suggestions as to how you can achieve your requirements:thumbsup

hey, it will be wired in swa and the distance is about 5metres to the garage. The required power will be for a couple of lights and two socket outlets which will not have much demand on them. is it correct if i install an earth stake in garage an rcd feeding garage in house will not b needed?
basically i wanna know which one of the following (if any) ways is correct
1) spare way c/u in house, 20a normal breaker feeding garage, 2.5mm swa to garage to mini c/u with rcd main incomer, 6a and 16a normal breakers for garage
2)spare way c/u in house,old so into new mini c/u with 20a rcbo feeding garage, 2.5mm swa to garage to mini c/u with rcd main incomer, 6a and 16a normal breakers for garage.
hope that makes sense and thanks for your help
Jeff

Number 1 assuming an insulated CU at the garage and that you have taken all other installation criteria into account should be OK, though there is limited discrimination between house and garage.
(Number 2 would have 2 RCDs in series so the one at the garage would be redundant and should be replaced with a MS)

hey, it will be wired in swa and the distance is about 5metres to the garage. The required power will be for a couple of lights and two socket outlets which will not have much demand on them. is it correct if i install an earth stake in garage an rcd feeding garage in house will not b needed?
basically i wanna know which one of the following (if any) ways is correct
1) spare way c/u in house, 20a normal breaker feeding garage, 2.5mm swa to garage to mini c/u with rcd main incomer, 6a and 16a normal breakers for garage
2)spare way c/u in house,old so into new mini c/u with 20a rcbo feeding garage, 2.5mm swa to garage to mini c/u with rcd main incomer, 6a and 16a normal breakers for garage.
hope that makes sense and thanks for your help
Jeff

What earthing system does the installation use?

I personally would SWA from house and because the cable is mechanically protected there is no need to RCD this length. Just be sure that the MCB rating is equal to or less than the ccc of the SWA being used. Once in the garage I would use an IP rated garage unit with RCD protection. One 16A mcb for sockets and one 6A for lights.

ok so no need for rcd in house if i use swa to feed garage. thanks.
one other thing, if i just used an rcbo from house to feed garage and just had that one circuit whats the rules on distance etc?
thanks again
p.s someone told me this and im sure its not right!!

Last edited by a moderator:
You are kidding?
that's easy, just use the special rule of thumb from the "Rules of Distance Act 1987" whereby the distance of an unknown cable run can be quantified by using a tape measure and the simple equation U=x/7+9>(weA* tabix -2) and extrapolate how many electrons are present in the known universe, then divide by the cable length.

This rule does not apply to speaker cable !
You are kidding?
that's easy, just use the special rule of thumb from the "Rules of Distance Act 1987" whereby the distance of an unknown cable run can be quantified by using a tape measure and the simple equation U=x/7+9>(weA* tabix -2) and extrapolate how many electrons are present in the known universe, then divide by the cable length.

You are kidding?

Just a thought, I think the "Rules of Distance Act" have just been abolished this morning due to a recent episode of Eastenders, where it was proved that the dark and arcane art of cable calculations were more accurate.

Reply to power to garage in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock