SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Advertisement - Content continues below

Discuss Power to my shed in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi guys
Looking to upgrade the power to my shed, currently use a extension cable.
I have 2 spare spaces in my consumer unit in house so hopefully be able to add to it for the shed, which would have a 4way or 6way consumer unit in it.
Would be about 25-30m run of cable , would 6mm t+e be enough or would I need to go to 10mm?
Cheers Andy

Hi guys
I have 2 spare spaces in my consumer unit in house so hopefully be able to add to it for the shed, which would have a 4way or 6way consumer unit in it.
Would be about 25-30m run of cable , would 6mm t+e be enough or would I need to go to 10mm?
Cheers Andy
Hia mate all depends on the job all sparkys differentiate job to job either 6mm or 10mm would be sufficient depending on load at shed quite a fair run to shed though so I would imagine 10mm being the preferred choice

happyhippydad

-
Arms
Esteemed
1mm would be fine if the design allowed for it, or possibly 35mm.

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed

Pete999

-
Arms
Esteemed
Hi guys
Cheers Andy
Depends on the eventual load required at the Shed, have you done any Volt drop calculations? how do you intend to install the new cable? what type of cable do you intend using? will the spare ways in the House CU provide RCD protection for the Shed? Sorry didn't notice you mentioned TandE not an ideal solution.

happyhippydad

-
Arms
Esteemed
1mm might just do a couple of LEDs and a phone charger. :eek::eek::eek:
I was being a little sarcastic, although technically true. What I wanted to say is that if you are designing it then you'll know what size cable as you'll be an electrician :D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Depends on the eventual load required at the Shed, have you done any Volt drop calculations? how do you intend to install the new cable? what type of cable do you intend using? will the spare ways in the House CU provide RCD protection for the Shed? Sorry didn't notice you mentioned TandE not an ideal solution.
Hi yes intend to put a new RCD in consumer unit in house if t+e not best what cable would be?

Pete999

-
Arms
Esteemed
Hi yes intend to put a new RCD in consumer unit in house if t+e not best what cable would be?
Depends on how you intend to install the cable, SWA as a guess.

Depends on how you intend to install the cable, SWA as a guess.
Cable will be consumer up to attic through the attic then about a 10m run from the attic to the shed, so all above ground, put sleath round it outside,new consumer unit in shed with RCD protection

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
ifyou're having a RCD in the shed, you don't want to feed from a RCD way in the house if using SWA cable. best advice is to get a local sparks to quote and design for you. appears you're in Scotland, regs. there different to England.

As a general rule of thumb I use either 2.5 or 4mm swa for near all shed hock ups which require a socket and a light.
If it’s more a work shop then will do a proper evaluation of what equipment is actually going in the work shop

ifyou're having a RCD in the shed, you don't want to feed from a RCD way in the house if using SWA cable. best advice is to get a local sparks to quote and design for you. appears you're in Scotland, regs. there different to England.
Ok cheers was looking going to look for a spark just going to run the cable myself

Pete999

-
Arms
Esteemed
Ok cheers was looking going to look for a spark just going to run the cable myself
I wouldn't attempt to run the cable yourself until you have spoken the Electrician and discussed the type of cable best for the job, from your previous post I really don't like or understand the method of installation you have described, the electrician will advise what you can do in the cable installation, digging trenches maybe, but not having eyes on the job it's very difficult to assess, good luck.

Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Reply to Power to my shed in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Electrical Forum 39
B Electrical Forum 25
D Electrical Forum 15
G Electrical Forum 26
J Electrical Forum 7
Top Bottom