Discuss Power to my shed in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Andre2057

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi guys
Looking to upgrade the power to my shed, currently use a extension cable.
I have 2 spare spaces in my consumer unit in house so hopefully be able to add to it for the shed, which would have a 4way or 6way consumer unit in it.
Would be about 25-30m run of cable , would 6mm t+e be enough or would I need to go to 10mm?
Cheers Andy

Hi guys
I have 2 spare spaces in my consumer unit in house so hopefully be able to add to it for the shed, which would have a 4way or 6way consumer unit in it.
Would be about 25-30m run of cable , would 6mm t+e be enough or would I need to go to 10mm?
Cheers Andy
Hia mate all depends on the job all sparkys differentiate job to job either 6mm or 10mm would be sufficient depending on load at shed quite a fair run to shed though so I would imagine 10mm being the preferred choice

1mm would be fine if the design allowed for it, or possibly 35mm.

Hi guys
Cheers Andy
Depends on the eventual load required at the Shed, have you done any Volt drop calculations? how do you intend to install the new cable? what type of cable do you intend using? will the spare ways in the House CU provide RCD protection for the Shed? Sorry didn't notice you mentioned TandE not an ideal solution.

1mm might just do a couple of LEDs and a phone charger. :eek::eek::eek:
I was being a little sarcastic, although technically true. What I wanted to say is that if you are designing it then you'll know what size cable as you'll be an electrician :D

Depends on the eventual load required at the Shed, have you done any Volt drop calculations? how do you intend to install the new cable? what type of cable do you intend using? will the spare ways in the House CU provide RCD protection for the Shed? Sorry didn't notice you mentioned TandE not an ideal solution.
Hi yes intend to put a new RCD in consumer unit in house if t+e not best what cable would be?

Hi yes intend to put a new RCD in consumer unit in house if t+e not best what cable would be?
Depends on how you intend to install the cable, SWA as a guess.

ifyou're having a RCD in the shed, you don't want to feed from a RCD way in the house if using SWA cable. best advice is to get a local sparks to quote and design for you. appears you're in Scotland, regs. there different to England.

As a general rule of thumb I use either 2.5 or 4mm swa for near all shed hock ups which require a socket and a light.
If it’s more a work shop then will do a proper evaluation of what equipment is actually going in the work shop

ifyou're having a RCD in the shed, you don't want to feed from a RCD way in the house if using SWA cable. best advice is to get a local sparks to quote and design for you. appears you're in Scotland, regs. there different to England.
Ok cheers was looking going to look for a spark just going to run the cable myself

If you are employing an electrician might as well get them to price the whole job and see what it comes out at...

Ok cheers was looking going to look for a spark just going to run the cable myself
I wouldn't attempt to run the cable yourself until you have spoken the Electrician and discussed the type of cable best for the job, from your previous post I really don't like or understand the method of installation you have described, the electrician will advise what you can do in the cable installation, digging trenches maybe, but not having eyes on the job it's very difficult to assess, good luck.

As above, have a talk with the electrician who will be doing the job before you attempting to do any work on it. They can dive you the type of cable, cable size and what is the best route for the cable.

Save time and money. You install cable, but get your spark to do cable calcs to ascertain size.

You could waste a lot of time and money if you install the wrong size.

I did this recently. Customer paid me to do the calcs£50. He bought and fitted the 10 mm 50M SWA I the came and did the easy bit.

Save time and money. You install cable, but get your spark to do cable calcs to ascertain size.

You could waste a lot of time and money if you install the wrong size.

I did this recently. Customer paid me to do the calcs£50. He bought and fitted the 10 mm 50M SWA I the came and did the easy bit.
Ok cheers mate thanks

Reply to Power to my shed in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock