Discuss Power to outbuilding and a pond pump! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

Paul Downham

Hi all,

running power to an outbuilding and then a pond pump but I have a few questions. Here is my plan;

The dwelling installation is TT

Ensure dwelling FB has 30Ma RCD Protection and a spare slot
Run cable to garage
2 way FB

Obviously rate the cable, etc..

Questions

Does the cable NEED to be armoured? I always do it in armoured for best practice.
Does the garage need it's own earth electrode?
I have never run power to a pond pump, what are the regs for this and what is the best way (from the outbuilding)

Thanks all

Last edited by a moderator:
pond pumps often come with a plug fitted, in which case, fit an IP rated external socket. SWA all the way. be a good idea to come from the house DB from a non RCD way, and RCD the outbuilding. that way a fault outside won't trip the house RCD. you don't need an extra earth rod, but it would be advantageous , as it may well bring your Ze down. bear in mind that said works are notifiable to LABC.

prob cheaper to do it in armoured though! depends what your faced with at the property really, lay of the buildings, ground conditions etc. all will determine what u run it in really.

true spin, not saying running it in conduit may not be a better solution, depends on circumstances really. either way is acceptable and thats what the OP was after i suppose, pointers and best practice methods.

pond pumps often come with a plug fitted, in which case, fit an IP rated external socket. SWA all the way. be a good idea to come from the house DB from a non RCD way, and RCD the outbuilding. that way a fault outside won't trip the house RCD. you don't need an extra earth rod, but it would be advantageous , as it may well bring your Ze down. bear in mind that said works are notifiable to LABC.

As the existing is TT it's likely he will have to RCD the SWA to provide earth fault protection.
In an ideal world you would be looking for the house DB to have a time delayed 100ma RCD main switch and come from this.Unfortunately this is a rare scenario and if coming from the house CU it may not be possible to avoid nuisance tripping in the house. An alternative would be to henly block the tails into a separate 1 way cu and either fit a 30ma rcd there or even better a 100maT/D with a 30ma in the outbuilding.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Power to outbuilding and a pond pump! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net