Discuss Power to shed and garden sockets/lights in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi im looking to power up my shed and ive got and area in my garden where i do my cars up and i require lights and sockets now my consumer unit is a 16th edition board and the rcd side is full

my plan is to fit a small garage unit with an rcd in the house and then run a swa to the shed off a 32amp breaker and have just a standard consumer unit supplying the sockets and lights in the shed. and do the same for my area where i do the cars, is this allowed or do the consumer units in the garage and the car area also need a rcd Bearing i mind they should be protected from the rcd in the house

(i'm 16th edition trained and haven't done domestic a job for about 10 years)

cheers phil

if you are using SWA cable, you don't need a RCD at the house end. fit it at the garage. if you are fitting rcd at the house, don't fit a 2nd one at the garage. choice is yours.

If the RCD side is full you can still fit an RCBO on the main switch side of the board, that way the cable outside is RCD covered and so is everything in the shed. Then you can just have a cheap main switch garage board in the shed. So many options.

Reply to Power to shed and garden sockets/lights in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock