Discuss Power to top of garden from house in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi,

We have a well at the top of the Garden approximately 80 metres away. I would like to run some cabling underground approximately 6 metres and then along the bottom of my fence/wall the rest of the distance. At the well I am powering a 700W water pump which will be connected to an external 13A socket with RCD protection I am looking at 3 core SWA to do this, can anyone offer any advice for any problems/precautions I should take before starting the job?

Many Thanks in advance!

Martyn this is your second thread along the lines of how do I install this cable. Your best option is to employ an electrician to correctly install and certify the works. Stating someone is going to test and certify your works cuts no ice on here it is something we hear repeatedly.

‘Laying’ the actual cable is only half the job.
The other half requires correct termination at both ends and some testing to be done.
As a sparks I would happy for you to buy and roll out your own swa from point to point if it makes feel better.
But the rest should be completed by a competent installer

‘Laying’ the actual cable is only half the job.
The other half requires correct termination at both ends and some testing to be done.
As a sparks I would happy for you to buy and roll out your own swa from point to point if it makes feel better.
But the rest should be completed by a competent installer

Many thanks for this, I have a good arrangement with my sparky and he is happy for me to do the donkey work like laying the cables etc I just like to learn as much as possible and try to do as much as I can to save money as we are living in & renovating a very large house which is taking every minute of my spare time and almost every penny that I earn from my job, hence the reason for doing as much as I can myself. I am sorry @westward10 that you feel that way but perhaps I misunderstood what these forums were for. I am just an honest hard working person trying to save as much money as possible by doing as much as I can and learning as much as I can. I rewired 4 rooms to the new consumer unit for Mark my Sparky to connect up and certificate (which he did and everything passed)

@Martyn Campbell

As others have mentioned here, the forum does not allow step by step guides to members, if you are DIY then we limit what we condone as work that can be safely done by a DIYer with maybe limited guidance.

The work you are doing falls beyond DIY and as you yourself are not a qualified Electrician our advice remains as others have said in that you ask your electrician for the advice, we will close any further threads where you are asking what we would consider work that is carried out by a competent qualified person.

We have to assume that you do not have an electrician as this means the forum gives the correct safe advice by default, we are not suggesting in anyway that what you have said is not the truth but we cannot take the assumption that all members are honest and truthful especially when they want free advice.
Hopefully you can understand our position and why we must request you consult your electrician for the guidance and not the forum, you have to at least acknowledge that it is somewhat strange to us that you have an electrician aboard who is willing to let you do the donkey work etc while he does the connecting and testing and yet you are not asking him for the advice and are coming here repeatedly, again I will stress we are not saying you are making anything up but just showing how it comes across to forum members and staff thus why we take the position we do on these types of thread regardless of if there is an electrician involved or not.

Hi @darkwood

Many thanks for taking the time to write your response, I totally understand your position and cannot disagree with anything you are saying, I was using the forum in the hope that someone would respond with a "I did that job and forgot to" or "whatever you do make sure you do blah blah" I hope you understand what I mean. I was not looking for step by step instructions just pointers from those experienced sparky's :)

I get where you are coming from, simply things that can catch you out and come back to haunt you later.

Here's one that seems fairly common. "don't forget to inform building control".
Or don't forget to employ an electrician to plan and install in conjunction with BS 7671.

I would recommend 3 core 90 sq mm swa cable to allow for future increases in load.
bury it in a trench no less than 1800mm deep with a 300mm sand base, cable, then 300mm sand to top it, back fill to 300mm from ground level then put your electrical cable warning tape. back fill the rest and re turf.

I would recommend 3 core 90 sq mm swa cable to allow for future increases in load.
bury it in a trench no less than 1800mm deep with a 300mm sand base, cable, then 300mm sand to top it, back fill to 300mm from ground level then put your electrical cable warning tape. back fill the rest and re turf.

Is the Op planning on running a small factory in the future

Think the OP understands the forums position now given his response to my post and believe this thread has run its course.

Thread Closed.

Reply to Power to top of garden from house in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock