Discuss Power tool connected to a socket doesn't activate when power switch depressed in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Diyer008

DIY
Reaction score
Power saw connected to a socket doesn't activate when power switch depressed, but it turns on the light fixture in ceiling nearby while power button is depressed. Can someone point me in the right direction on how to correct this problem. Please let me know if you need any additional details as I'm pretty new to this. Thank you ahead for any help or tips.

I believe OP is in America where power and lights may share the same circuit.
@Megawatt would be best to advise, but I’ve not seen him here for a while??

Sounds like the wiring at the outlet is incorrect. Has it ever worked correctly?

If it is a replacement the combo can act in a couple of ways. The switch controls the receptacle and no light or the switch controls a light and the receptacle generally remains permanently on so it is possible the switch is operating correctly and the hot link to the receptacle has been removed. Would need to know the type of outlet and whether it is existing or a replacement.

Two possibilities:

The receptacle is incorrectly connected in series with the light (and if the light works from the switch, the receptacle is in parallel with that) instead of being connected directly to the power feed. This has probably never worked correctly since installation.

Or, much less likely, it's a multi-wire branch circuit (light on one hot leg, receptacle on the other) with a broken neutral, which puts the light and appliance in series across 240 volts. The fact the bulb didn't go pop suggests this is not the problem (tungsten would have blown immediately but LED might survive briefly). This could have worked correctly in the past until the neutral became disconnected.

We would need to see the wiring at the receptacle to make any progress. If it is incorrect, it suggests that whoever installed it didn't know what they were doing, therefore there might be other problems.

Sounds like the wiring at the outlet is incorrect. Has it ever worked correctly?
it did work correctly initially. We disconnected a couple outlet and switch to break down wall. After we rewired the outlet gave problem. We have yet to reconnect switch. Will try that and report back to see what effect it has.

it did work correctly initially. We disconnected a couple outlet and switch to break down wall. After we rewired the outlet gave problem. We have yet to reconnect switch. Will try that and report back to see what effect it has.

I strongly suspect you have made a mistake when you did the wiring mods.

Reply to Power tool connected to a socket doesn't activate when power switch depressed in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock