Discuss Power trip fault - cannot locate in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

W

waddoups

Hi,

I have a two way lighting circuit in my lounge with a switch located by the front door and another located by the stairs. This has been working fine for the past 10+ years but recently if I use the switch by the front door after about 10-15 minutes the main fuse for the house trips (not just the lighting circuit). Once it has tripped it continues to trip as soon as the light switch is turned on. If left for a number of hours it reverts to being fine for 10-15 minutes and then trips.

The other switch on the same circuit works fine!

I have investigated all (accessible) wiring and can find no fault, the delay in tripping leads me to assume that there must be some heat build up prior to the short occurring but without removing and replacing the whole loop I am totally baffled by the cause.

Any ideas / thoughts most welcome before I start tearing up the floorboards and incurring the wrath of Mrs W.

Hi,

I have a two way lighting circuit in my lounge with a switch located by the front door and another located by the stairs. This has been working fine for the past 10+ years but recently if I use the switch by the front door after about 10-15 minutes the main fuse for the house trips (not just the lighting circuit). Once it has tripped it continues to trip as soon as the light switch is turned on. If left for a number of hours it reverts to being fine for 10-15 minutes and then trips.

The other switch on the same circuit works fine!

I have investigated all (accessible) wiring and can find no fault, the delay in tripping leads me to assume that there must be some heat build up prior to the short occurring but without removing and replacing the whole loop I am totally baffled by the cause.

Any ideas / thoughts most welcome before I start tearing up the floorboards and incurring the wrath of Mrs W.

It might prove cheaper for you to get an electrician in as he should have the necessary tools to perform an insulation resistance test on the cables.Has ther been any ather work done in the house that could affect this problem?Even non electrical--eg,hanging a picture on wall-nail could have penetrated cable,or even new wood floor, skirting.The fault sounds like the insulation resistance has broken down on the cables linking the two switches,

Reply to Power trip fault - cannot locate in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock