Discuss Power trips in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Could be your DNO is having problems in your area. Have you checked with neighbours and/or the DNO to see if there is any known problems with the supply in your area? What happens that tell you the power has gone off? May sound like a silly question but it could provide clues as to what is going on if you describe it.

Could be your DNO is having problems in your area. Have you checked with neighbours and/or the DNO to see if there is any known problems with the supply in your area? What happens that tell you the power has gone off? May sound like a silly question but it could provide clues as to what is going on if you describe it.
Haven’t checked with neighbours just yet. Basically everything goes off, then comes straight back on. No trips. I changed a light fitting a couple of weeks back but that’s been off when this has happened. I did remove it this morning and check all the connections and all looks good.

As per Vortigen, do you stay in a rural area fed from OHL? DNOs use auto-reclosers and auto-sectionalisers which can cause brief interruptions to supply. As far as the DNO and regulator are concerned, you haven't had a supply interruption unless it is more than one second.

As per Vortigen, do you stay in a rural area fed from OHL? DNOs use auto-reclosers and auto-sectionalisers which can cause brief interruptions to supply. As far as the DNO and regulator are concerned, you haven't had a supply interruption unless it is more than one second.
I’m not in a Rural area. It’s a fairly new estate, 6 years old, in Elgin, morayshire. Not sure what OHL is and what we’re fed from.
[automerge]1591899371[/automerge]
Just text my DNO this is their reply.

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you've been experiencing recently. We are aware of the short power cuts affecting your area, this is called an auto re-closure.

An auto re-closure is a piece of safety equipment on our main network. The reason for your power going on and off is because something may have touched one of our overhead lines. The most likely causes are tree branches, wildlife or even strong winds coming in contact with our overhead wires. You may notice that your power will come on very soon, the reason for this is that our network will automatically try to re-power the affected area straight away. If the safety equipment still detects something on the wire, the power will stay off until our engineers get to site and investigate.

This is all for safety reasons and to prevent further damage to our network. I'm so sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

Last edited:
although you are in an estate the power could be coming from an adjacent town via an over head line which is fed from an auto-recloser.

Reply to Power trips in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net