Discuss Power washer setting off 30ma rcd in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

TALK

While testing an installation the client asked me to remove a 30ma rcd which protects a power washer as it trips quite often.
The powerwasher has a 13amp plug fitted which I'am about to fail,(portable applaince test) as the the maximum load is 17amps.How The fuse fails to blow I don't know.I wish to replace the 13a plug with a blue 20amp 3pin male and use a 20amp female socket.Question,can I now remove the 30ma rcd,any ideas.
If I was asked this question I would say no the 30ma must stay,but I'am lost for a way out.

Cheers.

When working with the powerwasher,it only trips on initial starting.Once rcd has been reset a couple of times the powerwasher works perfect.The information I got is that is does this every day.Same procedure.Does the powerwasher need an rcd.The installation is industrial and surface mounted.

I can only assume the washer is outside....

If so then 411.3.3(ii) applies - additional protection via 30mA RCD shall be provided for - mobile equipment with a current rating not exceeding 32A for use outdoors.

There are NO exceptions to this regulation regardless of type of premesis, installation method or supervision by a skilled or instructed person etc.

Actual printed HSE guidance requries a 30mA RCD on a power washer circuit, this is freely downloadable on the HSE website.
They provide this guidance to ensure that it complies with statute law when in use.
Forget the requirements of 7617, HSE themselves consider that the RCD is required to meet a companies minimum legal requirements under (probably) various pieces of legislation, EAWR89, PWUER98, the management regs & HASAWA74 etc.
This can all be sifted out from the HSE publications on their website.

Problem solved.While doing portable applaince testing I found lots of fuses robbed out of plug tops and wrong ones inserted.It turns out the fuses were blowing on the powerwasher,the powerwasher was to heavy of a load for a plug top installation,and the rcd went off at the same time.A new circuit installed,20amp mcb and 30ma rcd prottected.
Thanks for all comments.

Reply to Power washer setting off 30ma rcd in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net