Discuss Powering a Brushless DC Blower in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a DC brushless motor that is attached to a blower. The motor has 4 wires, I have tried various configurations but havn't been able to get it to spin! I want the motor to spin at full speed for an outside project.

Here are the labels on the motor
DR-8538-805
DTJ
11893G
DC43v, Vcc12V 42w

After crawling the manufactures website I wasn't able to find any useful information about wiring.

The motor coils have 3 inputs marked on the board M1, M2 and M3.

I was also able to find the the labels of the wires under the controller chip(FG Vcc GND Vs), but still Google didn't come to the rescue!

Any help would be appreciated! I have attached some pictures for refrence.

Powering a Brushless DC Blower IMG_4462.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
Powering a Brushless DC Blower IMG_4460.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Looks like a stepper motor !
If it is then you need special circuits to drive it
You would be better off using a DC universal motor.
It would be much easier to control

Hi All,

I have a DC brushless motor that is attached to a blower. The motor has 4 wires, I have tried various configurations but havn't been able to get it to spin! I want the motor to spin at full speed for an outside project.

Here are the labels on the motor
DR-8538-805
DTJ
11893G
DC43v, Vcc12V 42w

After crawling the manufactures website I wasn't able to find any useful information about wiring.

The motor coils have 3 inputs marked on the board M1, M2 and M3.

I was also able to find the the labels of the wires under the controller chip(FG Vcc GND Vs), but still Google didn't come to the rescue!

Any help would be appreciated! I have attached some pictures for refrence.

View attachment 43455
View attachment 43456
Hi Dan
When you say that you have tried several configurations / connections, What power source are you employing, sorry for what may seem a daft question.

Regarding the 4 wires marked FG, Vcc, Gnd and Vs I think a dc power supply is connected +12V to Vcc and 0V to Gnd. FG is an high/low voltage pulse output every rotor revolution whose frequency relates to the spin speed and will be constant if the motor is not rotating - whether high or low depends where the rotor has stopped. Vs is a voltage output signal whose magnitude is proportional to the current drawn by the motor. Your 12V dc power supply will need to supply 43W/12V = 4A or more.

Thank you for the responses!

Turns out Vcc and Vs need 12v+ to make the fan run. I guess I didn't try all the wiring configurations.

It's all working now!

I'm still confused as to what the DC43v. is all about.

Thank you motherland!

Daniel
Australia

I forgot to mention that you will need to put an electrolytic capacitor across the supply Vcc and Gnd of say 500uF(Microfarads) and at least 12V working voltage. Remember to connect + lead of capacitor to Vcc. Sometimes it is not the + lead which is marked but the - lead in which case connect this lead to Gnd.

I think the DC43v refers to the type of motor driver but did not have any success finding a definitive answer.

It would be interesting to put an ammeter in the Vs lead and then the Vcc lead. I suspect the Vs is the supply for the power electronics to switch the motor field currents and Vcc is the supply for the switching logic. If so, then Vcc could be used as a low current way to switch fan on/off switch should you need too.

Reply to Powering a Brushless DC Blower in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock