Discuss Powerline adaptor fault in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi, I got a phonecall from a client the other day, (replaced the CCU for a split loader) he says that he uses powerline adaptors to network the internet and has noticed that some of them haven't been working since the board change (says the sockets themselves are working fine) does anyone have much experience with these? is it because there on different sides of the board? ie separate rcds, thanks in advance for any advice.

Could be, but its more likely to be that the adaptors need to be re-synced so they all discover each other.

Try that first.

PS I do hope you didn't stuff 500VDC up their chuff when doing the testing before the board change........you did test teh existing installation first, didn't you??:smilewinkgrin:

The only times they don't work, in a building, are if they are on different phases, so in a domestic situation that shouldn't apply.

I have had problems with powerline adapters when I wired an extension via a submain to a new CU. They would not work reliably between the old and new parts of the building. When he sorts out a problem with BT braodband he wants me to run a network cable to the extension.

My power line adapters work perfectly on both sides of the board.

I advised a friend to use them, nothing but trouble. Turn the kettle on, the network went down. Finally found a high resistance on one of the MCB’s.

For what it is worth my powerline adaptors automatically resync on a power cycle (two brands) so I would be surprised if it was that but it is worth a try.

You don't say if it is specific adaptors that don't work or specific locations. ie. has he tried swapping a working adaptor to a location that isn't working?
That will tell you whether you fried them with the IR test or it is something to do with the new CU.

BTW. Unless I am absolutely sure there is nothing connected I always test at 250V first and normally with L-N shorted together. That way I know if there is anything there before I fry it. There are plenty of other things beside powerline adaptors that don't like 500V....

Oh, and I would always go with copper instead of powerline given the choice, too many things can start messing with them. I just swapped my 200Mbps adaptors for cat6 and throughput went from 14Mbps (and that is both adaptors on the same ring, about 30 feet apart) to 550Mbps :)

Reply to Powerline adaptor fault in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock