Discuss PPM's and Reactive Maintenance in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Deleted member 109422

Hi there guys.
I have mostly been a house basher, oh the shame.
Please sit down before reading the following.....

Could someone please explain to me, in depth, what "carry out PPM's and Reactive Maintenance" means.

I might sound like a village idiot but I am not completely stupid, I do have my 2391 but that was years ago. I have got an interview.

Please help.

Thanks

As per Shoie above, it is Planned Preventive Maintenance. Preventive as in it hopefully prevents a lot of breakdowns occuring.

Good PPM reduces reactive maintenance, ie. Panic fixing when the ---- hits the badly maintained fan :)

It goes a bit further though and includes regular servicing and checking of equipment and machinery. Thus preventing breakdowns.

Shoei
thank you so much for your reply! So appreciated!
I feel confident I can do both of those things.
Will have a look at your links, interview is on Friday, I will let you know the outcome.
Cheers for your help fella.

Ok so I'd suspect it will be similar to what I do.

You will mostly be maintaining and repairing light fittings, repairing or replacing sockets/fcu etc

You will have small projects to do (lighting upgrades/Spurs/motor replacement etc.

Depending on the ethos of the department, you may be able to get involved with BMS, designs, inverters, controls etc.

It can be mundane but it can be brilliant too. At my workplace we have lots of old buildings so I do get the chance to work on really old equipment and systems not touched since the Jurassic period. It's interesting and educational to get your head around them.

Also, if your workplace is similar to mine, get your head around risk assessments/asbestos registers/permits etc. They are really hot on this

Hi gazdkw82
thank you for your swift and informative reply, nice one.
Some food for thought there. I will be asking about asbestos, permits to work and risk assessments at my interview. Thanks for the heads up mate, much appreciated.

Reply to PPM's and Reactive Maintenance in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net