Discuss Practical advice sought in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Guys, I have to improve the situation where original socket outlets were flush installed into the fawn coloured finished brickwork. The job is 20 years old, and was done by non-electricians. They have simply left part of the brick out when building walls where a socket was to be installed. The result of this is that the hole left for the twin socket boxes is far too tall. The result is that there is gap at top and/or bottom of flush socket plates leaving the socket to "fall" into the top or bottom of the hole instead of "landing" on a solid surround of brick work. The sockets, when tightened by the box screws, tend to be forced into the opening at top or bottom. If I try to cement around the opening with the socket removed the cement "fillet" is not strong enough to withstand the tightening of the socket, especially in a games hall area where the football can strike the socket face. I will be attempting to remedy this soon and was contemplating fixing a narrow strip of timber along top or bottom of each opening, to give a solid "landing" along the "missing" brick work. Any better ideas on how this could be sorted. In the kitchen of the same building they have tiled up to each socket, so the socket cannot be readily removed without cutting away the grouting. These socket faces are almost truly flush with the tiles. Now I remember what basic apprenticeship training was all about!! Cheers - Les

Guys, I have to improve the situation where original socket outlets were flush installed into the fawn coloured finished brickwork. The job is 20 years old, and was done by non-electricians. They have simply left part of the brick out when building walls where a socket was to be installed. The result of this is that the hole left for the twin socket boxes is far too tall. The result is that there is gap at top and/or bottom of flush socket plates leaving the socket to "fall" into the top or bottom of the hole instead of "landing" on a solid surround of brick work. The sockets, when tightened by the box screws, tend to be forced into the opening at top or bottom. If I try to cement around the opening with the socket removed the cement "fillet" is not strong enough to withstand the tightening of the socket,.[COLOR="#FF0000"] especially in a games hall area where the football can strike the socket face [/COLOR]I will be attempting to remedy this soon and was contemplating fixing a narrow strip of timber along top or bottom of each opening, to give a solid "landing" along the "missing" brick work. Any better ideas on how this could be sorted. In the kitchen of the same building they have tiled up to each socket, so the socket cannot be readily removed without cutting away the grouting. These socket faces are almost truly flush with the tiles. Now I remember what basic apprenticeship training was all about!! Cheers - Les

I would be more worried about this

Perhaps you could try using more mortar and force it down the side of the backbox and ensure it becomes flush with the surface, or use bonding, it depends on what finish you want to be visible. Oh and use metal sockets if they are likely to get hit by footballs.

i'd refuse to do the work until proper repair is done to the masonary
not really within an electrians remit to deal with so knock it back.

Many thanks for this. Was thinking of this as an "if only they made a strong 2-gang finger plate. Will take up this suggestion on Internet as local suppliers not heard of them when I asked. Cheers.

Thanks for the Yazoo box idea - was reading about them in the PE mag. I wondered if when removing the Yazoo when cement/plaster is dry would this break it away trying to release the grip of the surrounding plaster? The brushed steel finger plates cost ÂŁ15 plus PT but it seems the neatest finished solution. Thanks.

Last edited:
Flush fitting socket plates into painted brick?......
Must have been wired in buried conduit and the back boxes held in by a coupler and bush.
But , you say the job was done by non-electricians?
The mind boggles how that setup will look....

This is what I am up against. The full story is, I am a voluntary worker as a retired spark and member of my local church. I even updated to the 17th and Insp & Test exams and passed three years ago. Just trying to keep myself useful and sane at the same time. Cheers. Finished brick work should not have flush accessories, I agree. Even the course cement in the hall projects untidily from the concrete block work. I am past being critical of their effort and design 20 years ago. I am 68 but active. I even got them to buy a multi tester to 17th edition spec.

I would still be worried about footballs being as you say," smashed into the socket face ". if anything is left plugged in at the time the hall is being used for football, and the plugtop or even the socket gets smashed and this goes unnoticed the consequences could be disastrous.

Are the sockets fit for the environment is the question.

No fear of any of this as the sockets in hall were all changed by me years ago to brushed metal type. It's the fact that they cannot be made secure against the gap around part of them that needs attention to detail. What would you do if it was plaster board that had been cut slightly over the size of the socket plate? Almost the same problem.

No , a brick fix is simple.

If it is plasterboard and the gap is the top and edges simply screw laths behind the gap and fill with board adhesive or the like. If mechanical damage IS NOT a problem and the gap is just at the edges a three way converta socket will take this up, easiest and quickest solution.

It is almost impossible to match the finished brick work with any kind of filler. Would be good if there were bigger surround plates but the best idea is the metal finger plates for ÂŁ15 plus VAT each. Plastic ones would not withstand ball strikes in hall area.

Lol , it was plasterboard you asked how I would fix. If the gap is not excessive get a brick of the same colour and drill it to collect the dust or match a dye and add it to your adhesive

Reply to Practical advice sought in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock