Discuss Practice Rules (or Codes) for Running for Securing Multiple Cables in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Rewiring an old home where basement lines will feed the first floor (multiple 15/20 Amp w/ 12/2 & 12/3 romex & a single 50 Amp 6/3 romex supplying range. If I run cables over a wall to feed the first floor, how often would do they need to be fastened/stapled, are there exceptions (such as when there isn't sufficient room), are there limitations to the number of cables that can run in close proximity with one another?

Details:

The basement has a concrete wall running parallel with joists has room above it to run wires. The last joist sits about 6 inches from the wall, so there is enough room to tuck the wires into the space, but not enough space to staple or fasten in that space. That being said, the wires are less accesible in that space than they would be if I were to staple them all to the last joist.

1) How many cables can be run together, For example, can 10 new 15amp/20amp lines be bunched together ?
2) Can 15/20 amp cables run together with a 50 amp cable (6/3 to range)?
3) Do cables sitting on top of a wall need to be fastened, and if they do, how often do cables sitting on top of a wall in a basement be fastened (every foot, every 5 feet, 10 feet etc? Or can I just secure all of them at the beginning and end of the wall if they lay flat above the wall?)
4) What is the best way to fasten them in a tight space (clamps to wall)?

1614131761943.png

over here we tend to space the fixings of cables according to cable size. e.g. 12" for 1/2" dia. cable. the main thing is that the cables are adequately supported. (note that I have taken pains not to confuse you with the stupid metric sizes that we've had forced on us).

Rewiring an old home where basement lines will feed the first floor (multiple 15/20 Amp w/ 12/2 & 12/3 romex & a single 50 Amp 6/3 romex supplying range. If I run cables over a wall to feed the first floor, how often would do they need to be fastened/stapled, are there exceptions (such as when there isn't sufficient room), are there limitations to the number of cables that can run in close proximity with one another?

Details:

The basement has a concrete wall running parallel with joists has room above it to run wires. The last joist sits about 6 inches from the wall, so there is enough room to tuck the wires into the space, but not enough space to staple or fasten in that space. That being said, the wires are less accesible in that space than they would be if I were to staple them all to the last joist.

1) How many cables can be run together, For example, can 10 new 15amp/20amp lines be bunched together ?
2) Can 15/20 amp cables run together with a 50 amp cable (6/3 to range)?
3) Do cables sitting on top of a wall need to be fastened, and if they do, how often do cables sitting on top of a wall in a basement be fastened (every foot, every 5 feet, 10 feet etc? Or can I just secure all of them at the beginning and end of the wall if they lay flat above the wall?)
4) What is the best way to fasten them in a tight space (clamps to wall)?

View attachment 65040
Well the answer to number 1 would be no. You don’t specify what you mean bunched. Are you talking about wrapping the wire together with wire ties. Question number 2 is yes they can parallel to each other. Question number 3 is every 41/2 feet it’s required to be supported and you don’t need to worry about stapling in the voids of the wall on rework. Question number 4 is explanatory with question # 3

Reply to Practice Rules (or Codes) for Running for Securing Multiple Cables in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net