Discuss Pre-assessment advice for inspection and testing, test ? ? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
noticed that theres a few people on here (including myself) wanting to/ or have been taking the test with niceic/others, so for those who have been on it and passed, or maybe failed. bang your advice on this thread... cheers

Good luck to all who are in the proccess of assessments.
First thing to remember is, the assessors are not going to try & catch you out, they will ask questions that you should know the answers to & if you dont know the answers use the books at your disposal (osg & 7671) to find the answers.

Things to make the assessment go easy:
1, partake in small talk with the assessor offer a brew.
2, be calm & dont rush things.
3, any qestions will relate to the work you are showing.
4, have tools required close to hand (so you dont need to rummage in tool bag)
5, know how to use your test unit.
6, explain what you are doing while doing it.
7, if home owner is in, keep them informed as to when you are dumping the power.
8, have a read of the regs / osg the night before assessment & get an early night.
9, paper work books you'll need:
osg
eawr 1989
complaints log
Health & safety statement/policy
calbration certs
insurance
work certificates

10, be honest & dont try to blag an answer, if you dont know say so, the assessor will help & point you to the answer

Above all dont panic, if you are up to scratch with testing & your work complies with the regs you'll not have anything to worry about.

Are the major and minor assesments taken on the same day? i.e Jobs have to be close together and you travel with the assesor in-between jobs?

Are the major and minor assesments taken on the same day? i.e Jobs have to be close together and you travel with the assesor in-between jobs?

Yes visit both jobs on same day. I have on two occations had the assessor say "just the one address will do due to the ammount of work undertaken there" (cu change + sub to outbuilding with new cu & circuits).

The assessor I had last time round said he likes to travel to the jobs with the individual, as it gives him a chance to get to know them (that small talk thing again) as a person & gives him some indication of their grasp of the industry. The one before him didn't say alot the first year & came across as shy, but by the second year we were on first name terms & well chatty (he remembered the address), but he did opt to travel to the jobs under his own steam.

As for closeness of the jobs, NICEIC at one time stated there should be no more than half hours travel time between them.
But if it makes it easier use the phone number on the NICEIC conformation of assessment letter thats sent to you, then talk directly with the assessor with regard to distance between jobs & see what he says.

Reply to Pre-assessment advice for inspection and testing, test ? ? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock