Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Advertisement - Content continues below

Discuss Predicament do i ? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Guys.

Did some work on a customers site long story but whilst there we watched as their on site electricians doing some routine work.

Replacing switches and sockets for chrome ones. Anyway they where using a table lamp to prove sockets dead and shouting "thats it" as the lights turned out to check the switches other bloke at DB.

Obviously not safe isolation but do i mention to his manager as we are only contracting and could cause loads of issues ?

Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier
I think I'd talk to the electricians first to see if they have a choice about how they are working, just so you know where the problem lies.

D

Deleted member 105166

Make a point of them seeing you lock off the circuits you are working on and using your 2-pole tester. They may ask what you’re doing and learn something.

plugsandsparks

-
Arms
Esteemed
I think there are two issues here, identifying the relevant breaker and then proving dead. I have circuit finder stuff but generally i grab either a radio or something that lights up which i can see. Once the device either goes quiet or goes out i then do normal checks. Hard part has been done. Occasionally i challenge myself to work out from the crazy labelling the likely probability of getting the right breaker first or second time. I am talking boards with 40 plus breakers in.

@Megawatt you are side tracking this thread with information which is not relevant to UK practices. Whilst we appreciate you are currently interested in comparing are practices with yours this is not the thread for it.

Des 56

-
Arms
Esteemed
In the days "before" test meters were readily available,it was no big deal at all to use a set of test lamps to see if a cable was live:oops:

Sometimes the diligent spark may have bunged what would hopefully be the dead live cores to earth ( that is after closing his eyes)o_O
Surprisingly it was very often used as a universal means of checking the power was off by many many sparks
Lets not hang the guys just yet,they may have been around in olden times and can't shake off the bad habits:)

ipf

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
In the days "before" test meters were readily available,it was no big deal at all to use a set of test lamps to see if a cable was live:oops:

Surprisingly it was very often used as a universal means of checking the power was off by many many sparks
Lets not hang the guys just yet,they may have been around in olden times and can't shake off the bad habits:)
It must be 40 years since I first got hold of a Martindale plug tester, though, Des. They are testing sockets, after all.:anguished:

…..not that it's any of my business...….leave 'em to it.;)

Andy78

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
You could go the passive route and pin up some laminated safe isolation procedure notices around the place. Make it subtle though, like gaffer taped to the sparks' kettle.

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
You could go the passive route and pin up some laminated safe isolation procedure notices around the place. Make it subtle though, like gaffer taped to the sparks' kettle.
or pinch their table lamp, then they could use the kettle to test with.

CK Tools :) The professionals choice when it comes to Electrical Tools

Reply to Predicament do i ? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Aico 3000 Range

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Top Bottom