Discuss Predicament do i ? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Guys.

Did some work on a customers site long story but whilst there we watched as their on site electricians doing some routine work.

Replacing switches and sockets for chrome ones. Anyway they where using a table lamp to prove sockets dead and shouting "thats it" as the lights turned out to check the switches other bloke at DB.

Obviously not safe isolation but do i mention to his manager as we are only contracting and could cause loads of issues ?

As they’re not exactly hiding what they’re doing, I’d assume management knows.

I think there are two issues here, identifying the relevant breaker and then proving dead. I have circuit finder stuff but generally i grab either a radio or something that lights up which i can see. Once the device either goes quiet or goes out i then do normal checks. Hard part has been done. Occasionally i challenge myself to work out from the crazy labelling the likely probability of getting the right breaker first or second time. I am talking boards with 40 plus breakers in.

@Megawatt you are side tracking this thread with information which is not relevant to UK practices. Whilst we appreciate you are currently interested in comparing are practices with yours this is not the thread for it.

In the days "before" test meters were readily available,it was no big deal at all to use a set of test lamps to see if a cable was live:oops:

Sometimes the diligent spark may have bunged what would hopefully be the dead live cores to earth ( that is after closing his eyes)o_O
Surprisingly it was very often used as a universal means of checking the power was off by many many sparks
Lets not hang the guys just yet,they may have been around in olden times and can't shake off the bad habits:)

In the days "before" test meters were readily available,it was no big deal at all to use a set of test lamps to see if a cable was live:oops:

Surprisingly it was very often used as a universal means of checking the power was off by many many sparks
Lets not hang the guys just yet,they may have been around in olden times and can't shake off the bad habits:)
It must be 40 years since I first got hold of a Martindale plug tester, though, Des. They are testing sockets, after all.:anguished:

…..not that it's any of my business...….leave 'em to it.;)

You could go the passive route and pin up some laminated safe isolation procedure notices around the place. Make it subtle though, like gaffer taped to the sparks' kettle.
or pinch their table lamp, then they could use the kettle to test with.

Sounds like a good comedy sketch 2 electricians going round plugging in a table Lamp shouting at each other ‘is it on is it off yet’

Kinda like ‘to me to you’

Some good points made. To be honest no didnt watch to check they didnt do further tests but they had the sockets and screwdriver with them and nothing else.

Only there a few days so will see how goes but maybe drop into conversation if see them but dont think ill mention to manager as could cause too many issues for my company and then me.

Is this selfish ?

Dilema i suppose you dont stop the bloke in the street cutting his hedge with the tie wrap around the safety switch. Or cleaning his gutters off ladders unsupported.

Not to be condescending but the Domestic game has never been the safest. Time constraints often lead to poor work ethic and 9 times out of 10 most of the House bashers I’ve came across graft their nuts off, I’m not condoning unsafe work practices but next time instead of throwing them under the bus, show them the way of the Jedi!

Reply to Predicament do i ? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock