Discuss Preparing for a C&G 2330 Level 2 Practical Assesment. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

05gmccarthyg

Hey guys. Just wondering how you prepared for the Practical Assesment? If you have already completed it you would know that there is 1 practical Job and 1 testing job. I am a little nervous as you only get 3 strikes and after that you're out (failed the whole course I think).

So can someone give me some advice please? Thanks :D

Just keep calm, if you know your stuff you should be o.k. I am guessing your tutor may be a little more leniant on the day. SWA and coduit get that spot on and you can't fail. This is what takes the majority of your time up!

The thing that worries me the most is knowing how to wire up the different circuits e.g (Radial, Ring Main etc..). I guess if I keep memorizing my previous jobs circuit diagrams I will remember (Oh and btw, I only have 10 hours to complete the job). :(

i have just done this i got a credit just my paper work let me down for the destinction my tutor told me. all in all i found it ok just dont worry if it takes the ten hours that ok but it took most the lads on our course a afternoon dont worry about it. good luck

Mate its easy, just remember brown to brown, blue to blue & earths to earthing terminals. Sockets are labeled L & N. Brown in L and Blue in N. Couldn't be any simpler on rings and radials mate.

Sorry if I'm talking real basics but this is how I would have wanted it described if I was in your position.

For lighting have a look at some diagrams there's abit more to the lighting as you will know.

Mate its easy, just remember brown to brown, blue to blue & earths to earthing terminals. Sockets are labeled L & N. Brown in L and Blue in N. Couldn't be any simpler on rings and radials mate.

Sorry if I'm talking real basics but this is how I would have wanted it described if I was in your position.

For lighting have a look at some diagrams there's abit more to the lighting as you will know.

The only thing I don't undertand that much are Intermediate and 2-way switches. Could anyone help me with this?

I am so nervous it's unbelievable. I badly want to pass this but I'm just not prepared, and I have no clue how to prepare for this when I have no idea what it's going to be.

I would appreciate some help with this. Maybe someone who has recently completed their assessment could prehaps steer me in the right direction?

Thank you.

I did mine in jan, took me 3.5 hours to complete, it's two elements, 205&206 205 being the supplementing paperwork and 206 being the practical.

I got a distinction in both, 2x 100% marks, this is not a gloat I'm trying to point out that with the appropriate preparation and effort it's easily passable.

Make sure that the paperwork for the 205 is spot on and the practical is a SWA sub main, a distribution board, a lighting circuit with 2 way, a power RFC

It's nothing to worry about, PVC conduit, steel conduit, trunking and clipped direct

I did mine in jan, took me 3.5 hours to complete, it's two elements, 205&206 205 being the supplementing paperwork and 206 being the practical.

I got a distinction in both, 2x 100% marks, this is not a gloat I'm trying to point out that with the appropriate preparation and effort it's easily passable.

Make sure that the paperwork for the 205 is spot on and the practical is a SWA sub main, a distribution board, a lighting circuit with 2 way, a power RFC

It's nothing to worry about, PVC conduit, steel conduit, trunking and clipped direct

Did you do a testing job as well? We have to do the practical job, test that. Then there is another ready built job we have to test while it is live.

I did mine a few years ago but I'm guessing it's still much the same:

There's a volt testing exam which is really easy - you basically just put a clamp meter around 3 wires and test the currents going through to 3 bulbs, and you have to explain the results (you get higher readings from some because the wattage of the bulbs is higher).
You test the voltage of each phase then between phases and explain the relationship (√3).

For the main practical I revised by writing out the list of materials in groups (one for each circuit) and remembered how many there were in each (I think it was 5 for the swa submain, 10 for the radial and 16 for the lighting) then on the day I could count them and know if I'd missed something.
I drew out the circuit diagrams and learned them.
I printed out the safe isolation procedure and learned that - that's something you don't want to mess up.

Remember on the day if they ask you if you're sure about something it means you've got it wrong, so have a rethink - at the end of the day they want you to pass because it makes them look good.

I did mine bout 2 years ago it's not that bad mate hardest things to do is the conuidt if your struggling eg to do the lighting circuit a few lads on me course left that until after brew and went and looked on the Internet and notes during the break and went straight back in and did it whilst it was fresh in there mind and for the testing your allowed a OSG in the exam and all the testing procedures are in there.

Did you do a testing job as well? We have to do the practical job, test that. Then there is another ready built job we have to test while it is live.

Yea it's fairly basic, continuity test, method 2 for the sub, method 1 for the rest, then remove any vulnerable equipment and IR test the tails with all the mcb's on and switches in the on position. Don't stress about it it's all in the OSG

So can someone please list all the tests that have to be done in the assessment so I can learn and remember them please?

Thanks for your help guys, much appreciated.

Contanuity of cpc, submain, circuit 1 supply. Method 2
Contanuity of cpc for all other circuits using the R1&R2 method Method 1

Test for polarity at the same time as this

Ir test, now you can do this a circuit at a time, but if your clever you can IR test the Tails and do the whole installation in one hit. just remove all vunerable equipment and turn all MCB's and switches on.

The voltage test is easy, i even got to build the test rig while i was waiting for everyone else to finish, its a simple test of

Br - N
Bla-N
GY-N

All sould be 230v

Then
Brn-Blk
Brn-GY
Blk-GY

All should be 400v

Simples

Reply to Preparing for a C&G 2330 Level 2 Practical Assesment. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net