Discuss "Pretty" or "Smart" consumer unit options. in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

mrwkuk

-
Reaction score
Disclaimer: Not a pro sparky, so i have no intention of doing this myself, but I am looking for options that I can then take to someone qualified.

I am looking to replace the consumer unit in our house for a number of reasons, and its location means that it is directly visible by anyone coming into the house. As such I would like something thats a little more cosmetically pleasing than the normal consumer unit. If it can intergrate smart features too, that would be a bonus.

It needs to be at least a 12 way unit. A neat flush mounting unit might work, but that will require some alerations to the construction, so a good looking surface mount unit would be better.
Ideally it would be vertically orientated as the space the current unit is in is quite slim ( ~320mm) but quite tall (~650mm) with a bit of wiggle room.

I was spurred to look for better options after seeing a video about the US smart panel made by span: SPAN® Home | Electrify your life - https://www.span.io/ however after spending a couple of hours looking there doesnt appear to be anything even slightly similar in the UK, and definitely not with any smart features.

The best I can find is the regular, but smart looking, Schneider Easy 9 Plus, but thats a bit big for my available space unless it was mounted at 90 degrees. The Easy 9 Multi-Row might work, but doesnt look as good.

So my questions are two fold:

Firstly, does anyone have any suggestions of any options that are out there that look better than a regular wylex or whatever, and/or have any smart features? (power monitoring, remote control, etc).

Secondly, does anyone know if there is any reason a regular consumer unit cant be mounted at 90 degrees? (Its not like the electrons are going to spill out)

Thanks.

The Contactum Defender 2 range is quite aesthetically pleasing in the surface and flush mount models although not sure of the dimensions of a 12way unit.IMG_8270.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it the easy9 that has a magnet on the badge, so it can be turned 90’ and badge can still be right way up?

The door cover is perfectly flat, and again I think it can be painted to match wall decoration.

Is that 12 outgoing ways? Add another 2 for an SPD if required… and any Smart features may take up spare ways too.

What Smart functions do you need?

Being able to monitor each circuit's usage would be nice but possibly not worth the cost of doing so. I think Schneider has some option along those lines but from dim memory at one recent show it was over £100 per device.

Secondly, does anyone know if there is any reason a regular consumer unit cant be mounted at 90 degrees? (Its not like the electrons are going to spill out)
The main issue is fire containment.

A lot of CU have covers designed to close under gravity and they would not be acceptable in odd orientations, however, others that have some sort of catch or magnet might be acceptable. Checking the manufacturer's instructions would be important.

Why would you want to switch circuits or main switch off with your phone?
You could set up some automation to have some circuits disconnected during night, when at work or away, that could potentially save you hundreds of pounds a year by not wasting your energy to keep unnecessary stuff on standby.

You could set up some automation to have some circuits disconnected during night, when at work or away, that could potentially save you hundreds of pounds a year by not wasting your energy to keep unnecessary stuff on standby.

This would be better done with snart sockets and smart switches. You don't really want to be switching RCBOs on and off remotely.

The same can be achieved by turning things off when they are not in use.
It can but if I have a choice between me going around the house switching things off before I go to work or sleep or setup a device that will do all that for me, i choose the latter

This would be better done with snart sockets and smart switches.
Yep, that would be another way of automation

You don't really want to be switching RCBOs on and off remotely.
We will have to wait and see if they actually invent such device

It can but if I have a choice between me going around the house switching things off before I go to work or sleep or setup a device that will do all that for me, i choose the latter

Just turn it off when you finish using it.

Wait? Such devices have existed for a long time. Motor operated circuit breakers or auto-reclosers have been around for years.

Yep, that would be another way of automation

I don't think there's much demand for a domestic RCBO that you can switch off remotely. In any case, it's not good practice to use such a device for frequent switching.

And a remote mains switch is fine until you remotely switch it off, kill the whole installation and can't switch things back on again until you get back home to flick the switch.

Remotely controlled smart switches and sockets are the way to go.

Having said that, I do think consumer units with built-in power monitoring per circuit are a good idea.

You can add smart features to an electrical installation, even integrate them in the CU.
Have a look at the Shelly range. This may be of particular interest.

Perhaps look at dual row consumer units.

Hager make a few, here is just one example that is 299mm wide:

These are already on my list of maybes. Multi row gives a fair bit more flexibility space wise.

Is it the easy9 that has a magnet on the badge, so it can be turned 90’ and badge can still be right way up?

The door cover is perfectly flat, and again I think it can be painted to match wall decoration.

Is that 12 outgoing ways? Add another 2 for an SPD if required… and any Smart features may take up spare ways too.

What Smart functions do you need?

It is, but theres no mention of 90° rotation, only 180.

The number of total ways needed are still up in the air. I am contemplating moving to a more european style radial system per room rather than the traditional UK "ring" system. Being able to isolate discrete areas seems to make a lot more sense to me than isolating entire floors of your house. If we do that, then we will need at least 20 breakers (MCBs or RCBOS), plus another 3 or 4 spaces for the main breaker and SPD. And a couple of spare ways for smart modules (see below, in response to Taylor).

I mostly want to be able to monitor circuit usage, but depending how clever the hardware is, real time readings of things like residual current leakage, or any other fault indicators would be useful but not essential. I dont really need the ability to switch things as I do that already at a more granular level, but as others have mentioned, it could be good to be able to isolate high power items at times. The ability to cut power to specific areas in response to water, or smoke/fire, sensors would also be beneficial. But obviously not something I would rely on. Just an extra safety feature, along side proper accredited alarms.

Another option would be Hager Design 50. It's great looking one. Can't see a problem installing it sideways as long as manual does not prohibit it. Just need labelling correctly especially main switch.

These are better than most but I'm not a big fan of the kind of "bubble" design. I would prefer something a bit more squared away.

The main issue is fire containment.

A lot of CU have covers designed to close under gravity and they would not be acceptable in odd orientations, however, others that have some sort of catch or magnet might be acceptable. Checking the manufacturer's instructions would be important.

I hadnt considered the CU fire aspect. But I would imagine thats mostly contained inside the metal CU itself isnt it ? Definitely an aspect i will have a read up about.

You can add smart features to an electrical installation, even integrate them in the CU.
Have a look at the Shelly range. This may be of particular interest.

Yes, I do already have a lot of shelly hardware installed around the house for more discrete control, and I am a member of their FB group so I am aware of their pros and cons. The problem with going with the pro's is that you do also need an RCBO for each circuit as well. Effectively doubling your space requirements. Also I understand they get quite hot, so its preferable to space them out a bit if you can making the space requirements even worse. If i were to install the quantity I am considering (for a radial setup mentioned above) it would need around 50-60 spaces in the CU to accomodate everything with that kind of install. That would definitely require a multi-row panel. Probably a 3 or 4 way one. Not withstanding the cost. I might install a couple of them, but I dont think a full-smart system is really practical with these.

Thanks all for your responses so far. If you have any other suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to "Pretty" or "Smart" consumer unit options. in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net