Discuss Price check please. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

Poshspark

Hi I have put a price in for a four bed new build, the customer has come back to me saying he thought the price would be nearer £4500-£5000 for labour I have gone in at £6250 labour plus £1440 for materials. What do you guys think am I way off the mark?
This is a rough idea what is involved.
Location just inside the M25.
4 beds
3 en-suites all with 4 led down lights, shaver & extractors
1 family bathroom 4 down lights, shaver & extractor
1 downstairs toilet 2 down lights & extractor
kitchen 6 down lights, oven,sockets under unit lights etc.
Dinning room/living room 9 sockets sky point/phone
Attached garage
House over 3 floors.
2 outside lights.
Central heating clock,valves,boiler etc
Thanks

I think the replies you'll get are very limited mate,
I'd never even consider giving my customers a breakdown between materials and labour. You're leaving yourself wide open to the question of "HOW MUCH!"

Would be right in saying you've allowed 5 weeks to do this job?

I've just finished a 4 Bed (south west), Priced £2000 Labour. Usual + 1 En-suite, 2 x smokes, 1 x heat, Wired Intruder, TV x 4, Sky +, BT x 3, LED Spots (6) Kitchen & Bathroom (4), Integrated Garage (1 Sckt, 1 x Lt), 2 O/S Lights, S Plan, Immersion, 2 x Extract, 2 x Shaver, 9 days on my own. Not as big as your job and also London prices are real juicy.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you were asked to quote from the spec above you would have asked for much more information.

There is no way you can price from such little info.

Consequently any numbers you get from here, if any, will be guesses.

You know the job, you have seen the drawings.

Winning every job and making a profit is an impossibility.

Work out what you need from the job and add a contingency.

If you don't get the job let someone else lose money.

Hi i have the drawings no Architect handy man drawings no spec make it up as you go along sort of a job. Client says just put in what you think house is going to be sold when finished. I have just done a rough spec of what I have priced for obviously there are all the usual smoke detectors 5 in this case etc etc.
I know that it is not an exact spec but I was just looking for some input to see if I have way over priced it or not.
Thanks

It's just impossible to say, unfortunately. I've done 3 bed new build bungalows that have worked out at £2.5k start to finish with a reasonable profit, exec new builds that have run to £25k and all points in between.

So, you're just back to basics - work out what the job will cost you to do, allow for hassle factor, work out how much the job needs to profit/what you want out of it and then add those three things together = your price.

I reckon £1440 for materials will prove to be too low.

I'd have thought so too. Not hugely off the mark, but definitely a little light.

On new builds I'm normally fairly good, where I normally come a cropper is on things like extensions - just too many flippin unknown variables! If you lean too heavily on the extra's book then the client just thinks that you're trying to rip them off, but if you don't then you end up out of pocket very quickly - especially if there's other labour to be paid for as well.

Reply to Price check please. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net