Discuss Price for work! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jmpelectromech

Hi All

Can any body give me a rough price what they would charge for labour for the following work.
  • Installation of New Distribution Board
  • New light in walk in wardrobe.
  • New 10.5kw shower plus new priority unit for shower selection ensuring only one electric shower can run at any time, property has two electric showers, other is 8.5kw
  • Downstairs new ring main with 10 s/o. 5 are raggled into wall!
  • Earthing of services supply pipes(gas and water),
  • New garage power supply with new garage protection unit, 30m run SWA. Customer to dig trench.
  • Remove all old wiring where necessary
  • Testing of entire installation with Electrical Installation Certificate for new wiring and Periodic Inspection Certificate for existing wiring!
The property is empty and the exisiting wiring is around 30 years old.

many thanks in advance!

Without being able to see the job it's bar nigh impossible to give an idea, There may be loads of spare cable in the existing consumer unit there may be none and every one may have to be extended.
The walk in wardrobe might be right next to a place where a feed can be taken from or it could be a long way away, access to the feeding point may be difficult. How long is the cable run to supply the new shower? etc etc.
Best advice is for you to post up your location, chances are we will have a member near you who could attend and give you a price, we're a helpful bunch and we don't bite.
Well some do but we try to keep those ones locked up under the stairs:)

Prices also vary widely up and down the country, so what might be appropriate in London could be seen as a total rip-off in Carlisle. Not that I'm stereotyping, just random examples!!

trev1 has summed it up pretty well.

To add, how much are YOU worth with overheads etc? Are you capable of carrying out the work on your own or will you need a mate or apprentice/ dogs body?

You could say that an average cost on the above for budgeting would be circa £2.5k plus the dreaded. This is for mats and labour.
IMO we would not do labour only, causes too many grey areas when you call us back when something breaks down. Unless you get the materials for free you will not save much, maybe £200 - £300, if you end up paying for a couple call outs afterwards then that will swallow any saving.
As has been said, it is difficult unless you see the job and location also has an affect. This price is based on previous jobs of a similar nature.

Materials cost price +
Materials mark up +
(Estimated hours x labour hourly rate) +
Any extra expenses (tool hire, parking costs, etc) +
20% profit. +
VAT if applicable.

If it looks too cheap then up the profit accordingly.

Thanks for the input, with regards to the priority unit, the customer is having two showers one is 10.5kw and the other is 8.5kw plus a 4.4kw oven plus 3 rings plus lights plus a garage!

Reply to Price for work! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net