Discuss price help in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

leep82

-
Arms
Reaction score
I know these threads have been done to death but every job is different and so heres my story. Got asked if I could install 4 additional dual socket outlets onto existing ring main and tidy up the mess that is the lighting circuit ( cables twisted together and taped up above each fitting, bare cables on show in some cases) on a 3 bed bungalow. I did this initial work in a day and then the work snowballed. Ive currently spent 6 days on the job ( 2 with a mate ) and in addition to the above works have proceeded to:- install a new mains board and upgrade the tails, install an additional 7 sockets onto the existing ring man (11 in total), install a new ring main for the kitchen, install new intermediate switching in the hallway, install new lighting point in living room ( creating 2 points to the existing 1 ), install new switch in dining room and remove any redundant cabling. As well as the above mentioned work I have been asked to install multiple downlights throughout the kitchen, hallway/entrance hall and bathroom ( in each case replacing one existing lighting point), install a new circuit for outside security lights, install a new circuit for the combi boiler and once complete undertake a full test. Its basically turned into a rewire and had I known what was in store probably would of suggested to do so. I was hoping some of you may be able to give some advice and opinions on a rough price for all the work mentioned I have my own ideas but always worry i am to cheap or to expensive. Im sorry if I have been to vague with any descriptions and I can provide any other information for anyone interested in helping. Thanks in advance.

You can't really ask any one for a price as only you have seen the job plus different rates in different areas.
sounds like you've done the work already so did you agree a price or an hourly rate plus materials.
only you know how much your hourly rate is
your material mark up is also up to you

Well i was hoping or i wouldnt have posted would i ! I arnt supplying any materials and i reckon ive got another 4/5 days worth of work bearing in mind ive still to second fix the kitchen.

I was just going to do it on an hourly rate and the customer was happy with this. To many things have changed or been added to have been able to give a price, i saw this from the outset.

Do you charge by the hour?
Do you charge a day rate?
How much do you charge for your mates services.

You are doing labour only, so multiply hourly or daily rate for yourself, by hours or days worked, add to this the cost of your mate, and hey presto, you have your price.

Cheers………….Howard

I suppose what im after is whether im right in doing this as an hourly rate given the ever changing needs of the customer and if so what sort of hourly rate do people think reasonable to work for. I work cards in for a company but this is work i am doing for myself :), which of course is notifiable and LABC are aware of.

Sounds like you've done the right thing as a price would have gone out the window by now
As for how much to charge, that is up to you. But I wouldn't be to cheap as you might **** off the local self employed electricians in the area who rely on this type of work

I suppose what im after is whether im right in doing this as an hourly rate given the ever changing needs of the customer and if so what sort of hourly rate do people think reasonable to work for. I work cards in for a company but this is work i am doing for myself :), which of course is notifiable and LABC are aware of.

You need to have a clear understanding of what the customer wants, and what you will be charging them, and make sure you write it all down especially when they make changes. When you have written it all down, you sign and get them to sign it, no problems at payment time then.

You need to inform them of all costs as you go along, and don't just just hit em with a large unexpected bill at the end. But again, only you can decide what to charge, taking into account your own circumstances and rates in the area you are working.

Cheers…………Howard

Who will issue the Part P cert?

Who will issue the Part P cert?
Me, ive got my 2391, not registered with a scheme, but when ive done notifiable work in the past ive provided LABC with the relevant documents proving my competenceand theyve been happy.

Anyone one who thinks we are minds readers:

Where are you - location matters?

You are doing this "on the side" - so are you planning to declare it and pay tax?

You haven't agreed a price with the customer for the initial work and the extras - so don't be surprised when the client won't pay.

I agreed with the customer that it would be day rate as opposed to giving him a price, given his ever changing requirements. And no i dont plan on declaring it to the tax man. In todays climate im not going to turn down any work that comes my way, got a family to feed and bills to pay. Of course its a risk i take but i arnt out every weekend doing private work for cash in hand.

I agreed with the customer that it would be day rate as opposed to giving him a price, given his ever changing requirements. And no i dont plan on declaring it to the tax man. In todays climate im not going to turn down any work that comes my way, got a family to feed and bills to pay. Of course its a risk i take but i arnt out every weekend doing private work for cash in hand.

don't forget to buy some straw for your horse

don't forget to buy some straw for your horse
So the jobs done properly and to a very good standard. LABC informed and a full test certificate issued but im a cowboy for not declaring it to the tax man? Tell me do you live in the real world? Surely your not stupid enough to think that this doesnt and hasnt been going on across various trades for years and years, i mean really come on pal! Just because the tax man isnt involved doesnt mean i compromise on anything on the install, but carry on making your assumptions, cretin.

I know these threads have been done to death but every job is different and so heres my story. Got asked if I could install 4 additional dual socket outlets onto existing ring main and tidy up the mess that is the lighting circuit ( cables twisted together and taped up above each fitting, bare cables on show in some cases) on a 3 bed bungalow. I did this initial work in a day and then the work snowballed. Ive currently spent 6 days on the job ( 2 with a mate ) and in addition to the above works have proceeded to:- install a new mains board and upgrade the tails, install an additional 7 sockets onto the existing ring man (11 in total), install a new ring main for the kitchen, install new intermediate switching in the hallway, install new lighting point in living room ( creating 2 points to the existing 1 ), install new switch in dining room and remove any redundant cabling. As well as the above mentioned work I have been asked to install multiple downlights throughout the kitchen, hallway/entrance hall and bathroom ( in each case replacing one existing lighting point), install a new circuit for outside security lights, install a new circuit for the combi boiler and once complete undertake a full test. Its basically turned into a rewire and had I known what was in store probably would of suggested to do so. I was hoping some of you may be able to give some advice and opinions on a rough price for all the work mentioned I have my own ideas but always worry i am to cheap or to expensive. Im sorry if I have been to vague with any descriptions and I can provide any other information for anyone interested in helping. Thanks in advance.
If you bullet point the works when trying to calculate what costs are going to be, then for each bullet point think about how long it will take your half way there. Allow for 10-15% on top of the cost of materials for you, plus your hours in labour at your rate, I would suggest 110% of your actual rate then your there. The last bit is whether you want the job or not, if you really want it shave your rate to 90% and materials to 10% if you don't care then add what you want on, I have been doing that for years and have made a good living out of it, and more importantly if ever audited could justify my costs.

So the jobs done properly and to a very good standard. LABC informed and a full test certificate issued but im a cowboy for not declaring it to the tax man? Tell me do you live in the real world? Surely your not stupid enough to think that this doesnt and hasnt been going on across various trades for years and years, i mean really come on pal! Just because the tax man isnt involved doesnt mean i compromise on anything on the install, but carry on making your assumptions, cretin.

That is unnecessary. Looking for a ban are we?

Reply to price help in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net