Discuss Price per point? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

johnsparks23

I'm an electrical sub contractor, I sub to a larger electrical firm. My work is mainly new build, site work. In the past firms have just given me a price i.e 1st fix, 2nd fix, finals & test. Now the firm I sub for is very inconsistent with pricing jobs, even unrealistic with what the true value of the work is. I need to come up with a pricing
structure, so when I look at the drawings I can come up with a figure. I think a price per point is best.
So anybody got any ideas, on price per point. Cheers.

A mate of mine (another contractor) uses a price per point system - he's programmed an excel sheet to calculate pricing.

Difficulty is you have to assign point values not just to sockets/lights etc but also to install differences eg t&g flooring, occupied rewire etc - so getting it right is pretty complex.

Only really works for domestic.

I used to get £5 per point for extras, eg D/LTS or DSSO. Working on Barrat homes sites but that is too high for what I'm doing now. Anybody use this method for new build/site work?

My general rule is £40 per fitting ie a kitchen with 4 sockets 4 downlights and a light switch would be £360.00. If pricing a rewire etc £40 again permitting plus £50 per bond (if gas is in the under stairs or location close to the CU then £50 for both), plus £200 for the board. Any extra fancy lights or chrome sockets etc I charge extra for. I have been using this system for 4 years and it seems to work ok.

at labour only, i'd be looking at around £25 -30 per point. all depends on how many points you got on same runs though. lots of points close together, price lower.

The above members quoted prices, are for sole traders/contractors, price to the client. These are not relevant for me, subby to electrical contractor. Do any sparks get a 1st fix, 2nd fix price while subbing to an electrical contractor?

normally for subbing, i price as hourly rate.

My old boss gas always priced his jobs on the basis of 4 points is a days works. Obviously new builds you could wire for 30+ points a day.

Down to you what you price, but £25-30 as tel said seems about right

When I worked on new builds two small houses were possible in a team of three so price per point would be well below what's been mentioned so far. When I was doing it there was a 1st and 2nd fix price then a few extras on top.

I used to get £5 per point for extras, eg D/LTS or DSSO. Working on Barrat homes sites but that is too high for what I'm doing now. Anybody use this method for new build/site work?
£5 per point too high ? Are you on drugs lol ? TBH I am not really getting the gist of the issue here.
2nd fix say a lighting point £10 per point
1st fix - it really is so dependent on the variables - T+E or Singles in conduit or Armored all over....just too many variables to just say £x per point. If you feel you really want to down that route then you have got to go look at the job work out how many hours (or part hours) it will take you per point. Split your day rate into "working hours" then work out your price.
So say to 1st fix 1 light takes 30min.
Your Day rate is £210
Your work hours in that day = 7
210/7 = £30 per work hour......SO your price for a half hour per point is..........£15
1 thing with subby price work is NEVER sell your self short. You should never be chasing your arse to make up your normal day rate.....you should be getting a "bonus" for knocking the job out asap....that way both sides gain.

It's new build(house bashing) T&E. You can wire a lighting circuit in 2 hrs, aprox.
with 20 LED D/LTS. At £5 per point you'd earn £50 per hour. It's not realistic. I think only experienced site/price work sparks can have an idea of an answer to my OP. Cheers anyway for the input.

The above members quoted prices, are for sole traders/contractors, price to the client. These are not relevant for me, subby to electrical contractor. Do any sparks get a 1st fix, 2nd fix price while subbing to an electrical contractor?

When subbing to another contractor you would want to be earning at least £15-£20 per hour - so calculate your price per point on the estimated time involved with each item (not always easy I know).

£5 per point too high ? Are you on drugs lol ? TBH I am not really getting the gist of the issue here.
2nd fix say a lighting point £10 per point
1st fix - it really is so dependent on the variables - T+E or Singles in conduit or Armored all over....just too many variables to just say £x per point. If you feel you really want to down that route then you have got to go look at the job work out how many hours (or part hours) it will take you per point. Split your day rate into "working hours" then work out your price.
So say to 1st fix 1 light takes 30min.
Your Day rate is £210
Your work hours in that day = 7
210/7 = £30 per work hour......SO your price for a half hour per point is..........£15
1 thing with subby price work is NEVER sell your self short. You should never be chasing your arse to make up your normal day rate.....you should be getting a "bonus" for knocking the job out asap....that way both sides gain.

These are far too high - I wouldn't pay a subby anything like that kind of money.

These are far too high - I wouldn't pay a subby anything like that kind of money.

I was not actually saying that was the rate, I was showing how to work out the price per point. Seems to have gone over the head of yourself and the op. No worries though stuff can come across wrong when posting on a forum.

I was not actually saying that was the rate, I was showing how to work out the price per point. Seems to have gone over the head of yourself and the op. No worries though stuff can come across wrong when posting on a forum.

Oh sorry lol, had my Sunday morning head on!

Reply to Price per point? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net