Discuss Price to high/to cheap in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi All
is my quote to high or to low !!!! to replace existing ,shower 8.5k with minor pipe work ,new isolator pull switch ,4 meters of 6mm T+E and rcd with enclosure and minor works cert and to connect from cu to new rcd , a mornings work £ 200.00 sorry but new boy and pricing i am finding very hard to judge any advice would be really help full ( all like for like )

Rich

Last edited:
HI id say 4hrs labour 25per hour + £2 travel within local town + £4.50 part p + materials + VAT=total.
Hope this helps . I also add 20% onto materials .

A couple of points i think should be brought to your attention, if you install a new circuit anywhere it is notifiable work, make sure you notify relevant council or be part of a scheme, if you are part of a scheme you should already know a minor works certificate is not appropriate, next point is why are you installing a shower in 6mm, really now you should only install in 10mm.

One final thing, have you checked the main bonding cables are big enough? You wouldn't want to have to do that for free when you get there later.

The price is irrelevant, different people in different areas will pay and charge different amounts, you will get a better feel for this as you go, if you get the job and you can make it pay your price is spot on.

Sorry its a bit preachy but i do feel on here sometimes the questions asked are a bit irrelevant.

you should already know a minor works certificate is not appropriate
:confused: It's replacing like for like so mwc is fine.

next point is why are you installing a shower in 6mm, really now you should only install in 10mm
:confused: why, if the calcs work out use 6mm or less..........dont get lazy use cable calcs as you should have been taught.
It's not your job to worry about future proofing.

One final thing, have you checked the main bonding cables are big enough
Agree should be the first thing you look at.

next point is why are you installing a shower in 6mm, really now you should only install in 10mm.

where does it say you should now only install 10mm :confused::confused:

do the cable calcs and install the correct cable for the job= 6mm ;)

8.5kw = 36a 6mm can be used but it will have to be on a 32a mcb/rcd and you may be pushing your luck on overload i would go 10mm and 40a
not sure how you worked that out mark Ib is 37amps, 6mm clipped direct holds 47amps :confused::eek::confused:

Last edited:
sorry only asked a question even though you may think its daft its better to ask than get it wrong thanks to every one for nice respnses d,ont for get you all have to start some where

i would beleive this is minor works and also as minor works you only have ro make a note on the cert if there is even bonding present then its up to customer you inform by writing too them am i correct as there is all ready a shower circuit up and running and i am only replacing like for like??

so 6mm T+E on 32amcb in cu supplying 63a 30m/A rcd is correct on a 8.5 kw shower

Last edited:
sorry flukey 37 amps (almost):)
i know what you are saying i guess its just a bit of overkill on my part i just wouldnt put an 8.5 on 6mm:eek:
no worries mark ;)
not sure why you wouldnt put 8.5kw on 6mm though as the figures are well in with under 2volts volt drop as well :confused: do the calcs thats what you trained for ;)

sorry only asked a question even though you may think its daft its better to ask than get it wrong thanks to every one for nice respnses d,ont for get you all have to start some where

i would beleive this is minor works and also as minor works you only have ro make a note on the cert if there is even bonding present then its up to customer you inform by writing too them am i correct as there is all ready a shower circuit up and running and i am only replacing like for like??

so 6mm T+E on 32amcb in cu supplying 63a 30m/A rcd is correct on a 8.5 kw shower
sounds good to me tuckermot, although your price seems a bit on the low side to me :eek:

Last edited:
Hi fluky i am new to quoting and yes i know that prices can vary i have re worked parts ,accessories out and parts alone are £139.00 so 4 hours At £25 makes new quote at £239.00 also as its minor works cert can you still go ahead and install replace shower if bonding is only 6mm or no bonding at all of the services do you just make recomendation on cert ??

Last edited:
Hi fluky i am new to quoting and yes i know that prices can vary i have re worked parts ,accessories out and parts alone are £139.00 so 4 hours At £25 makes new quote at £239.00 also as its minor works cert can you still go ahead and install replace shower if bonding is only 6mm or no bonding at all of the services do you just make recomendation on cert ??
hi
i wouldnt do on minor works as it seems you are in fact running a new circuit from cu irrespective if theres already a shower in place :confused:
eic and upgrade bonding if necessary imho ;)

Last edited:
hi just replacing 6mm for new 6mm on the same route to showre

Hi just replacing 6mm for new 6mm t+e on the same route to the shower you say that is a eic cert

Last edited:
hi just replacing 6mm for new 6mm on the same route to showre

Hi just replacing 6mm for new 6mm t+e on the same route to the shower you say that is a eic cert
silly question but why are you replacing :confused:
i would say replacing mcb, circuit cable, rcd and switching would be a new circuit

Last edited:
i need to chop into the cable to fit rcd unit between cu and islator and as it is only a 3mtre cable to the shower and i would need to fit junction boxes to extend to fit rcd unit in i feel its easyer just to replace cable also are you sure its not a mwc

Last edited:
i need to chop into the cable to fit rcd unit between cu and islator and as it is only a 3mtre cable to the shower and i would need to fit junction boxes to extend to fit rcd unit in i feel its easyer just to replace cable also are you sure its not a mwc
not if i was doing it, eic all the way ;)

A couple of points i think should be brought to your attention, if you install a new circuit anywhere it is notifiable work, make sure you notify relevant council or be part of a scheme, if you are part of a scheme you should already know a minor works certificate is not appropriate, next point is why are you installing a shower in 6mm, really now you should only install in 10mm.

One final thing, have you checked the main bonding cables are big enough? You wouldn't want to have to do that for free when you get there later.

The price is irrelevant, different people in different areas will pay and charge different amounts, you will get a better feel for this as you go, if you get the job and you can make it pay your price is spot on.

Sorry its a bit preachy but i do feel on here sometimes the questions asked are a bit irrelevant.

He asked for advice on pricing not how to do his job

If you replace the cable its definatley a eic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Price to high/to cheap in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock