Discuss Price? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 2 bed ex council house. Old E7 heater in hall, lounge, D.room and panel heaters in bedrooms, fan in bathroom. Solid ground floor with T&G on first floor. Meter under stairs on G.floor. I need complete rewire, 5 new heaters and something for the bathroom. New fuse box. Could anyone give me a rough price and could this be done while tenants are at home? thanks.

Thanks for the reply, sorry, I didn't make myself clear. Only the E7 needs doing, the main system is OK. I want to update the heaters and thought it might be wise to renew the wiring as well. The floorboards have been up before because there was a hot air gas system when I bought the house. That was removed and the electric system put in. Should be straight forward for a sparks and I thought it would be a good idea to send the tenants (middleaged couple) to a hotel for a couple of days.

why do you think the wiring for the heaters needs replacing? i would first look at the CU upgrade and before proceeding, test all circuits and if satisfactory, connect to new CU/s.

Well hopefully they will be OK, is the cable for a storage heater the same for a panel heater? Forgot to mention, they have two immersion heaters, one on E7 and the other on the main circuit. If the cables are OK (put in about 1976) all the better.

If old storage heaters have asbestos in them, disposal is quite expensive. You may have to get a quote from a licensed electrical/hazardous waste contractor. New storage heaters are pretty pricey. The latest ones have ceramic heat storage and are "smart" and a lot more efficient. Rewire of a single circuit (or two?) around £750 (guess) Change of consumer unit with SPD AFDD and RCBO around £500-700. Cost of heaters around £200 each. Assuming all is well with your existing installation. If not, blank cheque sort of scenario! As you intimate you are a landlord you must have an EICR to let the property. What does that say about the condition of the installation? If all is well (depending when it was done) then you are good to go. Of course there is the course of "if it aint broke, don't fix it"

Personally... I'd ditch the idea of storage heaters... they require an E7 tariff to make any kind of economic sense out of them... and if you have an E7 tariff, then the whole 'way of life' needs to change too... with delayed start washing machines/dishwashers.

There's currently no indication that a super-cheap E7 rate will ever be offered again... and with the pushing of electric cars etc.... this will just make it less likely. If anything, it'll be scrapped completely with maybe a smart meter driven switch that'll dump cheap power onto you only when the wind blows too hard.

I know it's tenanted... but lumbering tenants with highly expensive heating is immoral in my opinion.

Sadly... I'm not aware of any sensibly priced electric heating system that provides the proper centralised controls that are needed.

Wow,
"If old storage heaters have asbestos"! how will I know, do not like that.
They have a gas cooker and I have the gas safety test done each year. SEC Reading carried out a full inspection and test some 10 years ago, all OK, local sparks carried out a full inspection (from letting agent) about 4 years ago, he added an earthing circuit and electric shower (£969.88p) on the first floor lights. Need to keep the storage heater system and the report states the 2 convector heaters are on 2.5. I have a sparks to do the work but I wanted to know a rough price before we go down and have a look. It seems I am looking at about 2-3k. Thats fine, I might get him to replace the main cpu unit as well. Just want to bring it all up to date in case I need to sell at a later date. Looking through the various reports and work done at the house, you blokes certainly earn your money
[automerge]1584796969[/automerge]
"I know it's tenanted... but lumbering tenants with highly expensive heating is immoral in my opinion"
Well they knew the score when they moved in and I keep the rent down low. Their gas and electric works out at £90 a month throughout the year. I think that's pretty good these days, I supply all the kitchen white goods, carpets, curtains and fixings. Both work and have good jobs. Last years gas test was (for one cooker) £109.00.

Last edited:
There's a gas supply... but heated by electric ???

For the sake of one gas cooker... I'd be getting rid of the gas supply and putting in electric oven with induction hob !

My first house had a gas hob but storage heaters and just an immersion heater for hot water.
the entire estate appeared to be designed like this, late 1980s builds

but gradually houses have had GCH installed and the big old storage heaters pulled out...

The way things are going in this country we will soon have to get rid of our gas units and go electric.
[automerge]1584800235[/automerge]
I put in a new cooker two years ago, tenant wanted gas as a backup heat sourse for the kitchen. There is an electric switch unit in the kitchen but the choice was theirs.

The way things are going in this country we will soon have to get rid of our gas units and go electric.
[automerge]1584800235[/automerge]
I put in a new cooker two years ago, tenant wanted gas as a backup heat sourse for the kitchen. There is an electric switch unit in the kitchen but the choice was theirs.
It's good to see a landlord who actually cares and maintains a property. The majority I have come across just want a cheap piece of paper to say its safe and will cut corners. Fair play to you.

Sod that, a gas hob is far superior to an electric one for cooking on. I'd take a gas hob over electric any day of the week.

I thought that until I got an induction hob, instant heat and instant off with hardly any residual heat, with the added bonus of easy to clean.

If maintaining storage heaters each one now needs 2 supplies.... a 24 hr supply and an off peak supply, (not found a brand that diesnt yet) so quite a faff, each storage heater is also about £500 so material wise your looking at £2500 easy. Probably 5 days work for 1 guy? Then disposal of old ones. That's still like 3.5k and you've still got storage heating. Any gain in efficiency of the new type is questionable so If the old ones ain't broke I'd leave... Good to see a landlord that cares though ?

Personally... I'd ditch the idea of storage heaters... they require an E7 tariff to make any kind of economic sense out of them... and if you have an E7 tariff, then the whole 'way of life' needs to change too... with delayed start washing machines/dishwashers.

There's currently no indication that a super-cheap E7 rate will ever be offered again... and with the pushing of electric cars etc.... this will just make it less likely. If anything, it'll be scrapped completely with maybe a smart meter driven switch that'll dump cheap power onto you only when the wind blows too hard.

I know it's tenanted... but lumbering tenants with highly expensive heating is immoral in my opinion.

Sadly... I'm not aware of any sensibly priced electric heating system that provides the proper centralised controls that are needed.

waw what a load of rubbish! Are you a sparky???

Sod that, a gas hob is far superior to an electric one for cooking on. I'd take a gas hob over electric any day of the week.
I used to say that, and when I rewired my kitchen 10 years ago I never bothered putting in a power supply for an electric hob as it would be gas and replaced with gas etc. If I had I'd have replaced the gas hob with an induction hob by now, oh well.

I used to say that, and when I rewired my kitchen 10 years ago I never bothered putting in a power supply for an electric hob as it would be gas and replaced with gas etc. If I had I'd have replaced the gas hob with an induction hob by now, oh well.

I've not had a chance to try cooking on an induction hob, if they are as good as you suggest then I might be swayed when i get a chance

Reply to Price? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock