Discuss Price? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

"You can check your storage heaters for asbestos on line. Storageheaters.com"
Thanks for that, have bookmarked it on my PC. The heaters were put in around the time they done away with asbestos so fingers crossed.
Been looking at the Dimplex Quantum storage heater, three biggish ones for the ground floor and two small ones for the bedrooms and maybe a towel rail for the bathroom. It seems like these connect to the mains as well as the E7. Would anyone know if I will have to have two fuse boxes or would sparky be able to fit two into one.

I've not had a chance to try cooking on an induction hob, if they are as good as you suggest then I might be swayed when i get a chance
Moved into a new house, from gas hob to electric hob. Wouldn’t say I noticed much difference in cooking skills required.

However, it’s a ceramic hob, and is flipping expensive. Will be replacing it with an induction one soon as.

Moved into a new house, from gas hob to electric hob. Wouldn’t say I noticed much difference in cooking skills required.

However, it’s a ceramic hob, and is flipping expensive. Will be replacing it with an induction one soon as.

It took me a long time to adjust from the instant reaction of adjusting the gas to the very slow reaction of an electric hob.

I thought that until I got an induction hob, instant heat and instant off with hardly any residual heat, with the added bonus of easy to clean.
On the bright side, they can cook and make a brew during a power cut.
[automerge]1584897599[/automerge]
If maintaining storage heaters each one now needs 2 supplies.... a 24 hr supply and an off peak supply, (not found a brand that diesnt yet) so quite a faff, each storage heater is also about £500 so material wise your looking at £2500 easy. Probably 5 days work for 1 guy? Then disposal of old ones. That's still like 3.5k and you've still got storage heating. Any gain in efficiency of the new type is questionable so If the old ones ain't broke I'd leave... Good to see a landlord that cares though ?
Thanks for that, I did see them online this morning, so I guess 1k labour and about 4k materials. I would rather spend it on the upgrade than give it to the taxman.
[automerge]1584898456[/automerge]
At least I know where I stand now, thank you all for your help, will post some pics of the new heaters, hopefully sometime in July/August (if my sparky is working and tenants allow him through the door. Stay safe everyone.

Last edited:

Induction is better than gas, gas is much better than ceramic (other than for cleaning, which is the payoff).

Cooking skills don't really vary between any hob. A bad cook is gonna be a bad cook regardless. Induction does offer a bit more safety as well, especially over Ceramic.

Induction is better than gas, gas is much better than ceramic (other than for cleaning, which is the payoff).
My personal preference is for gas... but if it has to be electric... it has to be induction ! Almost as controllable as gas and defo far easier to clean.

On the bright side, they can cook and make a brew during a power cut.

Alas, not on modern hobs that have the electrically powered gas cut-off if a flame blows out...

Just to put my oar in, I have a gas bhob, I hated the solid metal electric hobs (sister had one many moons ago) due to the really slow reactions, but the "halogen" style ceramic that my parents have is fine. Never tried induction though.

Induction is a revelation compared to Halogen, noticeable things like boiling water from a kettle is almost instantly boiling when poured into a saucepan on a induction hob, another plus, if something does boil over it does not stick to the hob as the top surface outside the cooking zone is not hot, but the main attribute is the instantaneous control over the heat in the pan, so no excuse for something boiling over, next post will be how to cook perfect poached eggs. :innocent:

My biggest hate with induction hobs is the annoying touch controls, especially if you have to first select the ring you want to adjust then set it up or down by pressing the buttons repeatedly. Gas you just turn a knob up or down.

Conversely the knob has to be removed occasionally for cleaning underneath it and the knob itself, not needed on a ceramic or induction hob with no knob's, but then Neff have a induction hob with a magnetic removable knob to operate the new generation induction hobs, backward step?? Perhaps.

Reply to Price? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock