Discuss Pricing a two story extension in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

leep82

-
Arms
Reaction score
Bear with me on this guys as its a long one and i know these threads have been done to death but im interested in any views any of you may have.

I have been asked to price electrical work for a two story extension consisting of kitchen/diner downstairs and two bedrooms upstairs. Although the job isnt as straight forward as it sounds as i have to extend existing final circuits to a new DB position and also the supply to the DB itself as the intake position is currently on the side of the house from which is being extended. I am currently unsure of the type and size of supply that the DNO will be providing although i have asked the homeowner to find out.

So before any work goes ahead in the extension ( and after a recent thread where similar was discussed) i intend to run a 3 core SWA to the new DB position this will be via a switch fused isolator. I will then have to transfer the old final circuits from the existing DB to the new one. And my plan for this is to use din rail terminals inside an adaptable box. Each circuit needs extending by approximately 3mtrs and once in the new DB retested. Moving the position of the DB also means i need to instll new main protective bonding conductors. The bonding conductor to the water is easy enough as it is within a couple of meters of the DB. The bond to the gas will run 10-15mtrs through the new extension to the front of the house where the meter sits.

The extension itself should be relatively simple. There are approximately 15 socket points split over two new rings, 10 lighting points ( incl 6 spots ) split over 2 circuits and a radial circuit supplying the oven. Access wont be a problem and no chasing is required.

There are also a few minor jobs to be done when some internal walls come down like removing/repositioning lifht switches/sockets.

I have tried to break the whole job down into sections and allocate the time i think it will take me to do each one.

So as a quick summary:-
• install new SWA supply with switch fused isolator to newly fitted DB

• extend existing final circuits from old DB to new

• install new main protective bonding conductors to water and gas

• 1st fixing of new extension

• 2nd fixing and test of new extension

• any minor works required on existing circuits

I am providing all materials although i havnt included any as part of the second fixing as the customer isnt sure what type of finish they actually want. Ive estimated this is going to take me around 9 1/2 days to complete and have probably been a little over cautious in case i hit any snags. As always i worry that im to expensive or to cheap as ive not done a great deal of jobs of this size since ive been self employed. Without the 2nd fix materials and a couple of other small bits im waiting on a price for im currently at £2286 but i expect the total price to exceed £2500.

Any thoughts most welcome

Stoke is richer than Wales,a double extension with similar requirements currently being installed by me is £2750
This one does not need the board moved

I have never gone in for analysing costs
I look at a job and a figure appears in my mind,it never made business sense but it made me a living

any pricing that I give to a customer 1st fix saw much up front ££££
2 fix on completion balance to paid on the day plus any extras .
and beforehand get them to sign. the estimate copy to them and you keep the original sighed .and watch their a** squeak.

Last edited:
90-100 hours on that seems very slow. Price looks on the light side and I am on the poor side of the pond.

Suggest you ask admin if you can get into The Electricians Arms, then post on there.
Not many want to lift their kimono re fees on an open forum...

Reply to Pricing a two story extension in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock