Discuss Pricing Advice for House in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new here and sort of new to pricing my own work. Bit of background on me, I've been working as an electrician for a company based in Newcastle for about 5 years now, doing mainly commercial/industrial jobs.

I have been asked numerous times by many people over the years to price work that needs doing in their homes etc. I've always turned the work down due to no time to do it.

Until now, I've been asked to do a job and I feel obliged to do it as its for a good mate of mine.
The work entails:
Changing 5 single sockets to double sockets
Straight swap 9 lightswitches
Straight swap 6 double sockets
Changing 7 light fittings (relocating 2 to centre of room)
Adding a new double socket to bedroom
New kitchen ring consisting of 4 double sockets (new locations)
New lightswitch at back door (kitchen) to feed outside light
Changing a centre light to 9 spotlights (kitchen)
Addition of a garage radial to feed a double socket and roller shutter door
Addition of a lightswitch in garage for a new garage light
Adding 2 wall mounted outdoor lights (either side of garage) to a photocell

Side note: the kitchen ceiling has been taken down for asbestos removal so the wiring should be cake.

As I'm new to pricing domestic I have no idea on what hourly rates/day charges are these days. I am normally spot on with how long I think it will take. But I'd like to know what you guys think?

Thanks in advance, sorry for long post

Hi everyone, I'm new here and sort of new to pricing my own work. Bit of background on me, I've been working as an electrician for a company based in Newcastle for about 5 years now, doing mainly commercial/industrial jobs.
If you work for company then, have you the insurance to back up working for a friend or other.

With that you'd be researching what the 'going rate' is in your area, overheads, and how much you need to 'manage' comfortably. There seems to be huge variance in different parts of the country. Down here in Cornwall I'm basing pricing on £40 an hour for two of us at the moment - my son being recently qualified. But it needs to go up !

If you work for company then, have you the insurance to back up working for a friend or other.
I've got my own public liability incorporated in with insurance for my tools as it is for myself. However this job has been put through with the company I work for, for the Part P requirements and certification purposes (I have my testing certs but no part P due to bot working domestic)

There is a HUGE difference between 'mates rates' for a cash in hand weekender And pricing a proper job for a customer when it is your own business with all the associated overheads

Mates rates is never clean cut , some 'mates' I will do the job for free and other 'mates' it will be about 70% of my normal rates and it could be anywhere in between

I am £80 ph if its priced as a proper labour only job

There is a HUGE difference between 'mates rates' for a cash in hand weekender And pricing a proper job for a customer when it is your own business with all the associated overheads

Mates rates is never clean cut , some 'mates' I will do the job for free and other 'mates' it will be about 70% of my normal rates and it could be anywhere in between

I am £80 ph if its priced as a proper labour only job
Yeah I understand obviously mates rates is completely different, I was sort of asking the question as if it was a customer, I may have worded my question a bit dodgy.

Yeah I understand obviously mates rates is completely different, I was sort of asking the question as if it was a customer, I may have worded my question a bit dodgy.
Not really we get a lot of peaple asking
The question, me I would be thinking
Cheap job and you work for a company
If I was your boss I would not let you work for me and let you use the company to test your work.

Bloody hell is this the chip and pin hole in wall gang.
My labour price includes , certification and part pee notification where applicable along with small consumables like wagos , back boxes and screws etc

I win about 90% of quotes in an average year and have had this price set since 2019 with very few complaints from customers

Not really we get a lot of peaple asking
The question, me I would be thinking
Cheap job and you work for a company
If I was your boss I would not let you work for me and let you use the company to test your work.
Considering I test 90% of my companies work I don't think they'll think I'm going to make up the results 🤣. Also I'm pretty sure I make them a fair bit of money otherwise I wouldn't be employed by them 🤣. They're pretty good when it comes to helping you out, albeit I'm not going to get much money from this particular job.

I'm just interested to know what people would charge for the work as if its your job, all by the book etc etc.

Considering I test 90% of my companies work I don't think they'll think I'm going to make up the results 🤣. Also I'm pretty sure I make them a fair bit of money otherwise I wouldn't be employed by them 🤣. They're pretty good when it comes to helping you out, albeit I'm not going to get much money from this particular job.

I'm just interested to know what people would charge for the work as if its your job, all by the book etc etc.
Do you know what other domestic sparks charge by the hour / by the day in your postcode ?

My guess it would be about £40 per hour / £300 per day labour in the North East

In my area you are looking around £75-80nper hour / £500 per day for domestic work on the level (not cash in hand)

My labour price includes , certification and part pee notification where applicable along with small consumables like wagos , back boxes and screws etc

I win about 90% of quotes in an average year and have had this price set since 2019 with very few complaints from customers
Good on you, I started to put my prices
up so its now £50 per hour.

Do you know what other domestic sparks charge by the hour / by the day in your postcode ?

My guess it would be about £40 per hour / £300 per day labour in the North East

In my area you are looking around £75-80nper hour / £500 per day for domestic work on the level (not cash in hand)
Unfortunately I don't, I know a few people I've worked with charge £20-30ph but they just do the work no questions, no certs and so on. I obviously don't want to do work like that. I suppose £40 might make sense with all the proper paperwork etc.

Reply to Pricing Advice for House in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net