Discuss Pricing partial rewire( is it not to much) in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

bart.second

Hi!
I am pricing 3 bed flat in a block. Some circuits are existing will be not replaced (clients wish), kitchen circuits are new.Cables to be run in floor, wall, ceiling dwellings, everything is in concrete and bricks. Price is just for labour, no materials.
Am I not charging to much?!?!
Job is in London

Bathroom

-2x spotlights - 2x35L=70L
-extractor fan - (includes compulsory external isolator switch for the fan) 60L
-electric shower - (includes compulsory external isolator for shower, separate run from fuseboard 10mm2 T&E cable) 250L
-pull switch - 20L
-towel rail- (includes external isolator) 80L

total 480L

Kitchen

-Washing mashine outlet + spur 80L
-double socket by washing maschine + one extra- 2x40L 80L
-Oven outlet + spur 80L
-Hob outlet + 40A isolator 150L
-fridge socket 40L
-water heater socket 40L

total 470L

Bedroom 1
-add one doble socket 40L
-add heater socket 40L
-sinking sockets and light switch 50L

total 130L

Bedroom2
-add Light fitting 35L
-add one double socket 40L
-add heater socket 40L
-sinking existing sockets/ switch 50L

total 165L

Living Room
-add 2x double socket - 80L
-add heater socket 40L
-add fireplace (outlet + spur) 80L
-sink existing sockets 50L

total 200L

Corridor socket
total 60L

Fuseboard

Fitting new fuseboard, issue NICEIC certificate + running earth bonding to water/gas mains, kitchen sink

total 350L

Total price 1905L

Last edited by a moderator:
Labour only? I think this is quite steep but obviously it's hard to say not knowing all the circumstances.

I have divided your £1905 by £180 (day rate) which equals to almost 11 days???

Your day rate may be much higher but I think £180 in the area that I reside is inflated.

I hope this helps you anyway :thumbsup

1SC

Without going into detail of your quote, why would it cost £250 to run a 10mm feed to a shower via a pull cord when your already on site? How long is that going to take you with the material of the flat you have to go through? I think your quoting as if it was a single call for a single job, eg "I need labour only to run a shower cable" = 250 (a good days wage for a London sparky). Look at it this way, how long will this job take you to do (longest). How much will you be happy with earning? = that's what you quote.

My boss has charged £300 installation inc. materials for a 2 way garage dis board, 2 new feeds for the garage lighting (1mm), 2 metalclad 2 gang sockets on a 2.5 radial, About 8-10 meters of 6mm to feed the garage board and an fcu feeding an outside light on a 1mm radial. Seems low to me for that little lot. What do you guys think?

My boss has charged £300 installation inc. materials for a 2 way garage dis board, 2 new feeds for the garage lighting (1mm), 2 metalclad 2 gang sockets on a 2.5 radial, About 8-10 meters of 6mm to feed the garage board and an fcu feeding an outside light on a 1mm radial. Seems low to me for that little lot. What do you guys think?

I think it sums up the impossible nature of these posts, there are infinite variables as to what is deemed to be the 'correct price'.

Location, overheads, work in progress, competition, margins, impossible.

To cheap, I would have charged 320 :):):). Jokes aside, I would have charged 500 min if the work would take 1 day. Customer got a bargin on that one.

Well...My boss had a little moan about it afterwards (in the van of course) . I could just say he quoted for it but i couldnt help feeling it was too cheap-mind you its his call......It was local to where he lives and it might just turn out to be a bit of a loss leader as the whole house needs a rewire, I am sure i overheard the magic letters "vir" in the conversation he was having with the homeowner. Much more listening in from me and i thing my ears might just grow long like pinnocio`s nose.........

Without going into detail of your quote, why would it cost £250 to run a 10mm feed to a shower via a pull cord when your already on site? How long is that going to take you with the material of the flat you have to go through? I think your quoting as if it was a single call for a single job, eg "I need labour only to run a shower cable" = 250 (a good days wage for a London sparky). Look at it this way, how long will this job take you to do (longest). How much will you be happy with earning? = that's what you quote.

Well... to prepare a groove for cable (cut through bricks, concrete, sort out right route to isolator then to the shower) 2-3h, to fit cable in the groove, nail over metal capping 1h. To connect shower head and isolator 30min. What gives 4.5h 250/4.5=55.5555....p/h too expensive, even for london.

I think I am going to step down a bit.

Bathroom

-2x spotlights - 2x30L=60L
-extractor fan - (includes compulsory external isolator switch for the fan) 60L
-electric shower - (includes compulsory external isolator for shower, separate run from fuseboard 10mm2 T&E cable) 100L
-pull switch - 20L
-towel rail- (includes external isolator) 70L

total 310L

Kitchen

-Washing mashine outlet + spur 70L
-double socket by washing maschine + one extra- 70L
-Oven outlet + spur 70L
-Hob outlet + 40A isolator 100L
-fridge socket 35L
-water heater socket 35L

total 380L

Bedroom 1
-add one doble socket 35L
-add heater socket 35L
-sinking sockets and light switch 30L

total 100L

Bedroom2
-add Light fitting 30L
-add one double socket 35L
-add heater socket 35L
-sinking existing sockets/ switch 30L

total 130L

Living Room
-add 2x double socket - 70L
-add heater socket 35L
-add fireplace (outlet + spur) 35L
-sink existing sockets 30L

total 170L

Corridor socket
total 35L

Fuseboard

Fitting new fuseboard, issue NICEIC certificate + running earth bonding to water/gas mains, kitchen sink

total 300L

Total labour cost
1425L

26% reduction, this is 'pin the tail on the donkey' pricing, you need to sort out a structure for your quotations, it will help you to win more work while keeping a decent margin.

4 days. About 60 hours. what for two labours gives about 23.5 quid p/h
Are you both happy with that? Do you think your worth more? Do you think its over priced? It's completely down to you, only you know how hard your going to have to work for this money. Listen to IQ, pinning the tail on the donkey, that's what your doing. Figure out your own personal value for your skills and time, that's your answer. Ps send me the address and I'll undercut you by a hundred quid and get the job myself ;););) (joking). Good luck with it.

Are you both happy with that? Do you think your worth more? Do you think its over priced? It's completely down to you, only you know how hard your going to have to work for this money. Listen to IQ, pinning the tail on the donkey, that's what your doing. Figure out your own personal value for your skills and time, that's your answer. Ps send me the address and I'll undercut you by a hundred quid and get the job myself ;););) (joking). Good luck with it.
Don't forget we are talking about London. Standard 3 bed semi is for 350000 where I live. ;) ;) ;)
Thanks for help. I will go for around 1200. That should be just fine.

Don't forget we are talking about London. Standard 3 bed semi is for 350000 where I live. ;) ;) ;) Thanks for help. I will go for around 1200. That should be just fine.
Ok I'll take a stab in the dark going by what you've said about the job:- Labour only (plus your tools, travel, parking, screws and gromits). London sparky £180 per day X 4 = 720 + labourer @ £100 per day = £1120..... I would increase that to £1250-£1300 to give you a bit of space to maneuver. If you think its going to be 4 days of hard graft increase it accordingly.

Right then lads...My boss and i were recently in romford on a rewire of a 4 bed townhouse on 2 lifts. House was built in the 70s (bs3036, Thermalite walls etc) the property was clear of crap and we were able to move about at will. He was charging £50 a point.
Hope this helps.
Glenn.

How do you know it can be omitted?

I don't, hence the word 'probably'.

Experience tells me that it's extremely rare that a kitchen sink meets the definition of an extraneous-conductive part but of course the test prescribed in Guidance Note 8 will remove any doubts.

Whatever price you decide on you should also allow for advertising, VAT, waste removal, accountancy, insurance, upkeep of tools plant and equipment, telephone, office heating & lighting, office & IT supplies, sick pay, holiday pay, van depreciation, fuel, estimating time, debt recovery, Dues and subscriptions...

Reply to Pricing partial rewire( is it not to much) in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net