Discuss Pricing per point in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi All
I am fairly new to pricing jobs for myself, I have been asked to quote on a full re-wire on a 4 bed 1950's property thats having athorough refurb. I have gone through a lot of old posts on here and people mention pricing per point, can someone clarify does each fitting count as a point, e.g a ceiling rose with two way switching would this be one point or three, also a fcu supplying a s/o below kitchen worktops is that one or two. As its going to be a full refurb do the sockets need to be installed at 450mm high etc to comply with building regs. Many thanks.

im not sure tbh mate,but you have any mates you can ask?or mabye some pricing software out there

i think when i was at college there was an actual jib guide sayin like 1 socket to fit takes like 25mins and should be charged at like 30 quid

it was used in a project for pricing

To be honest I have priced jobs so differently over the years that I have yet to use pricing per point as a sole guide.

I have always taken the rule of what I needed/wanted to earn to make a living, and that is normally for me priced per day work, So if you need 200 pounds a day to cover everything expenses/overheads/profit, I would work out how long the job takes me and, say 10 days, and quote 2000 plus material.

Often you get asked to breakdown a quote , especially for commercial/industrial, and then I would do that.

As for Part M have a look at the document section: 0 General Guidance and part 03.

Part M only applies to new builds.
But there is one issue, the new installation must not be less compliant than the old installation ie if the old socket hieght was 450mm you can't install new ones at 200mm. But if the old socket height was 200mm and you reinstalled at 250mm that would comply because it is more compliant.

Hi All
I am fairly new to pricing jobs for myself, I have been asked to quote on a full re-wire on a 4 bed 1950's property thats having athorough refurb. I have gone through a lot of old posts on here and people mention pricing per point, can someone clarify does each fitting count as a point, e.g a ceiling rose with two way switching would this be one point or three, also a fcu supplying a s/o below kitchen worktops is that one or two. As its going to be a full refurb do the sockets need to be installed at 450mm high etc to comply with building regs. Many thanks.

I always price per point wherever possible, works for me and I always end up making a lot more than I would on a rate + materials. Once you get the hang of it you'll find it much easier/quicker to price and easier to add any extras / make alterations.

1/ does each fitting count as a point, e.g a ceiling rose with two way switching would this be one point or three ?

I would price that as £35 - per ceiling rose and £25 - per switch = £85 total

2/ fcu supplying a s/o below kitchen worktops is that one or two ?

I would price that as one point £55

Hope that helps a bit mate...

Last edited:
To be honest I have priced jobs so differently over the years that I have yet to use pricing per point as a sole guide.

I have always taken the rule of what I needed/wanted to earn to make a living, and that is normally for me priced per day work, So if you need 200 pounds a day to cover everything expenses/overheads/profit, I would work out how long the job takes me and, say 10 days, and quote 2000 plus material.

Often you get asked to breakdown a quote , especially for commercial/industrial, and then I would do that.

As for Part M have a look at the document section: 0 General Guidance and part 03.

This is how I did it - except I added 30% to the cost of materials.

Someone once suggested to me that if you just double the cost of materials that should cover your labour costs, but I never tried that method.

You also have to take in account wether the property will be occupied whilst the work is going on as you may have to get the furniture move and tidy up before you leave.

rule of thumb back in the eighties wis £30 a lighting point and £50 a power point! and seeing how i've been estimating 30 years you'll be pleased to know it's still the same which might give you a hint as too why our industry is in the state it's in! that's glasgow rates for all you southern/london chaps before ye start spouting how you wouldn't get of bed for that!

Reply to Pricing per point in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net