Discuss pricing in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

spanial2

hi, had an electrician do a quote and was just wondering what you guy's charge nowaday's, I will be buying the bit's so just labour, he will be cutting into the grey tail's then to fused switch, take tail's outside to an outside box, swa cable,25meters clipped to a wall to garage, consumer unit in garage then 2 electric wall radiators, 1 bathroom heater, shower, inline fan kit, small electric cooker, 6 double sockets, 3 lights, 2 outside lights, 1 outside socket, all the walls has been studded but not boarded, he qquoted 650, i'm retired and not shore what people charge, I am in glocestershire. thankyou

Im in gloucestershire too and that sounds a very good price...I assume he will provide a test certificate and notify at end of job?

Theres a chance I am right around the corner from you if you want any advice to ease your mind. Just let me know :)

Out of interest how do you know you will be buying the correct bits and size of cable?

Ive had customers do this method..I have to provide a list. Customers think its easier/cheaper for some reason. I suppose it also gives them control over cost.

Advantage from our side is that we dont guarantee any materials. Only workmanship.

I am not the biggest fan of customers supplying their own materials. I am not against it, but i used to find that customers bought on price, and price alone. This sometimes lead to the job taking longer than expected because of unforeseen problems with poor quality fixtures and fittings.

If the customer wanted to supply materials on my jobs, i gave them a list of what was needed including preferred makes.

Explain that if they buy Wylex/Square D etc etc, what they payout in materials they will more than get back in labour, because the kit is top quality, reliable and easy to install. This normally resulted in them saying "You might as well get it then please".

SO DIY people, if you do your own work, or supply your own materials for someone else to do it, then don't buy the cheapest crap available. Good quality electrical materials are not much more expensive than cheap rubbish from China. If you stick with the common brands, then when things do do wrong, parts are cheap and easy to source, and most sparks will have a good selection of bits and bobs in the van to suit all mainstream kit, and most of this stuff has been around for years, and will continue to be. Try getting circuit breakers for todays spurious consumer units in 5 years time and you will have no chance. Try getting a MCB for todays Wylex in 20 years and they will still be on the shelf.

Cheers..............Howard

Reply to pricing in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net