Discuss Primary supply overcurrent protective Device in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

solavie

While completing the Elecsa certificate, it asked for the nominal current rating and short-circuit capacity of the primary supply overcurrent protective device. The system is a TNC-S and there is nothing written on the fuse at all to say what rating it is. Also it is riveted and it cannot be open to check the fuse inside.

Do I leave the Nominal current rating - Blank?

And how do I measure its shortcurcuit capacity using a Megger 1552 :confused:

And are we allowed to isolate the supply to change the consumer unit by removing this fuse . I am not too sure where I stand as there is no other isolating switch.

Thanks.

Hey.

If you are unable to verify the rating of the main fuse then you can either ring the DNO or if they cant help then put LIM in the box and note the reason in the comments box.

You dont usually measure the short circuit capacity of the fuse but note the maximum allowable like you would for an MCB, i.e 6KA for standard type B breakers.

For BS 1361 it's between 16.5KA and 33KA I always note the higher number
For BS 88-2 it's 50KA.

Check OSG for all types

Technically you are not allowed to break the seals and pull the cut-out fuse but it is done, sshhh;).

Hope this helps.

Hey.

If you are unable to verify the rating of the main fuse then you can either ring the DNO or if they cant help then put LIM in the box and note the reason in the comments box.

You dont usually measure the short circuit capacity of the fuse but note the maximum allowable like you would for an MCB, i.e 6KA for standard type B breakers.

For BS 88-2 it's 50KA.

Check OSG for all types

Technically you are not allowed to break the seals and pull the cut-out fuse but it is done, sshhh;).

Hope this helps.

Lenny, what does LIM aquate to?

LIM stands for Limitation i.e you weren't able to record a result or carry out a test due to circumstances beyond your control. Like on a PIR for instance on the tick box page where it asks "cables routed in prescribed zones" obviously you cant tell if they are or not so you put LIM in the box.

Hope this helps.

Hey.

For BS 88-2 it's 50KA.

Check OSG for all types

Hope this helps.
GN3 page 60 (16th) or osg"Except for london and other major cities the max fault current for 230v single phase supplies up to 100a will not exceed 16 ka ."

GN3 page 60 (16th) or osg"Except for london and other major cities the max fault current for 230v single phase supplies up to 100a will not exceed 16 ka ."

Thats what i thought also was told if you ringthe DNO and ask them they will tell you its below 16.

Are we not talking about the capacity of the fuse, as opposed to what the fault current would/should be??

Hi Lenny the original post was what was the short circuit capacity of the primary overcurrent protective device What should he put in the box and osg and gn3 both state"where a service cutout containing a cartridge fuse to Bs 1361 type 2 supplies a consumer unit which complies with bs 5486 or bs en 60439-3 then the short circuit capacity of the overcurrent protective( ]devices within the consumer units may be taken as 16ka)

Not noticed that bit before . Usually takes all my mental prowness to read beyond a few lines.In table 2.4 it does indeed rate type 2 at 33ka

I was taught 0n 2391 that it was 16ka and have always put that down. Death to lecturers

hi Scott

I will use that value. However is it anywhere in the onsite guide, 16 or 17th edition or the same for IEE wiring regulations as I could not locate it.

:)

Solvie ONG page 56 and 57 table 7.4 If you have time on your hands it wouldnt hurt to ring your Dno to see what they have to say

Hey.

For BS 88-2 it's 50KA.

Check OSG for all types

Hope this helps.

Hi Lenny. Whilst I understand DNO refers to what used to be the Regional Electricity Supplier I can't get my brain to work out what DNO stands for! I know I'll kick myself when you tell me but I can't sleep at night not knowing!
Thanks in anticipation.

Hi Lenny. Whilst I understand DNO refers to what used to be the Regional Electricity Supplier I can't get my brain to work out what DNO stands for! I know I'll kick myself when you tell me but I can't sleep at night not knowing!
Thanks in anticipation.

Distribution Network Operator
regards Des

Welcome,.... So with your first post, you reopen a 4 year old thread, with information that's already been given!!

Not a great start!!

one and two thirds to be precise.

which begs the question........if you knew, why repeat it?

Reply to Primary supply overcurrent protective Device in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock