Discuss Prior to doing a board change in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
As my experience is mainly maintenance related and I am now venturing into board changes for the Part P registration process I would be grateful for heads up on your 'To do list' prior to changing the CU.

1) I will do a visual inspection of accessories and Main Bonding.

2) Check for contraventions of 17th in zones in Special locations. Advise accordingly

3) Now the board..Should I IR the whole installation using method 2 ie Line/Neutral clamped together to Earth ( This removes the requirement to disconnect vulnerable equipment).

Anything else ? comment appreciated .

ATB Steve

Insulation resistance as you state. I also check for a borrowed neutral on the stairs/landing 2 way switch beforehand also.

So far this has covered me when swapping out a CU

agree with amp, i also do a quick ring circ cont test, i find this is often a problem on board changes so i can advise accordingly

live is taken from one circuit (downstairs lights say) but the neutral from another (upstairs lights say)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the CU change went well with no major dramas.

A couple of issues I had tho.

Used MK RCBO'S 6 series apparantly they now have a 7 series out same as but guts tweaked, one of these would not reset either with power on or off are they carp ?

I spoke to MK tech and asked questions I had seen on here, yes you can cut both the flying Neutral and Earth lead and this doesn't invalidate any warranty, the new one's apparently have straight flyers not curly.

I raised two other concerns with him.

1) The use of blanks, I asked him if they do an insulated Busbar, as the pop in blanks if dislodged then leave live parts touchable, don't ever use those he said always use Din rail mounted one's that can't come out.

2) Order of MCB'S/RCBO'S...He said you can put them high to low or low to high it makes no difference now on a modern board, as the Busbar gives a good connection, I must say I thought this made sense, because if you wanted to (say) add a 40 A breaker at a later date you would have to jiggle all the breakers along, possibly extend conductors and cpc's, and cause yourself a headache.

What's your thoughts guys and should I stay with MK or go with Hager premier range ( The one's that will fit in a 3P board ) ?

ATB S

This was done under the LABC of Redbridge council East London, the requirements and costs seem to vary enormously from borough to borough.

They required.

App fee £75.

Copies of all my C&G Certs
Copies of all my other Qualifications.
So I sent my 17th Q + 2392 + 1-3 C&G's

Ticked the box on BC form to say I can complete a 7671 to the required standard.

Not heard from them yet

ATB S

Last edited:
Hi Steve,

I live in Redbridge, could you outline the process of notifying LABC for a CU change.

Thanks

Quite easy really go to their Building control site and download the link below, fill out form paying particular attention to sections 7/8, you will notice it asks if you will supply an NIC Cert, help line said ignore that, if your a qualified/competant spark then tick the yes box for supplying a cert to BS 7671 if your not you will need tick the box to ask them to inspect and test it, if your a sparky send copies of all your qualifications 17th etc.

http://www.redbridge.gov.uk/cms/pla...ca11bd-4733-4618-bfaa-a5faeeca2514&version=-1

I have had a stroke of luck today I got to know of a very experienced full nikky sparky to pre-inspect my work prior to assessment, he was impressed with my standard of work and attention to detail, he found about three things I could have got pulled on..

1) I hadn't labelled the MET block with an appropriate label or tag

2) I had left some knock outs open on top of CU, this was at high level so I didn't bother.

3) I had no legend or circuit descriptive diagrams on site, he says NIC are hot on these now.

4) I had failed to notice both CPC's on ring had a shared sheath, this is not good for testing or identification.

So a couple hours work to put that right should be good to go

Quite easy really go to their Building control site and download the link below, fill out form paying particular attention to sections 7/8, you will notice it asks if you will supply an NIC Cert, help line said ignore that, if your a qualified/competant spark then tick the yes box for supplying a cert to BS 7671 if your not you will need tick the box to ask them to inspect and test it, if your a sparky send copies of all your qualifications 17th etc.

http://www.redbridge.gov.uk/cms/pla...ca11bd-4733-4618-bfaa-a5faeeca2514&version=-1

Many thanks for the info.

Cheers!

Reply to Prior to doing a board change in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock