Discuss Problem connecting 2 Busch Dimmers in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

maxabelard

Have just moved to Germany (don’t yet speak German) and amtrying to replace double-gang rocker switch plate with a Busch Dimmer. Thecurrent set-up (see photos) has a double face-plate connected by a singleframe. The top face-plate is a double-gang rocker switch which turnsliving-room light on/off (where now only 1 switch is being used; the other wasfor another set of lights, no longer in use), the lower face plate is a rotarydimmer which controls the lights in the kitchen.
So, I want to replace the double-rocker switch with anotherBusch dimmer. I went and bought the same type of Busch dimmer as the existing onethat controls the kitchen lights and tried to fit it.
Problem (please see photo: Wiring of both Dimmers): I nowhave the new rotary dimmer fitted for the living-room; it switches on/off anddims fine. The Dimmer for the kitchen also switches on/off and dims fine.
So what’s the problem? When both Dimmers are switched on, ifyou turn the living-room Dimmer OFF it ALSO switches Kitchen Dimmer OFF. So youcan’t have the kitchen Dimmer on without having the living-room Dimmer on also.
I have checked with a volt meter, and of the 2 black wires,only 1 was coming-up as hot, and that is the wire I placed in the top dimmerwith the 1-yellow wire. Please see photo. The hot wire is marked withblack/brown/orange.
As you can see (barely) each dimmer has 4 symbols aboveterminal; 2 in the middle are marked incoming arrows; 1 on your right isout-going arrow; and 1 on far left is cross.
As the photo shows there are 3-wires going into top(living-room) Dimmer: the 1-hot black/brown/orange wire (originally just black)going into the incoming arrow terminal; and the Brown traveller wire going intothe outgoing arrow terminal ( and connecting to the bottom Dimmer’s cross-hairsterminal).
The bottom Dimmer has just 2-wires going into it. A blackwire going to the incoming arrow terminal, and the Brown traveller wire goinginto the cross-hairs terminal. This wiring works perfectly well for the rockerswitch and the bottom Dimmer but not for both Dimmers.
I have tried several combinations of wires but to no avail;I have also posted this recently on 8 forums but had no help. Does this make sense(I feel like such an idiot!) Many Thanks in advance for your help. Max

Reply to Problem connecting 2 Busch Dimmers in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net