Discuss problem in the pub in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all
The manager of my local has been begging the owners to do something about the state of the wiring in the pub, I am, as some would say a Electrical Trainee DI so know nothing on the regs regarding pubs. I have seen an open ceiling rose with a cable extended to the light over the pool table, this ceiling rose is in easy reach of an extended arm and therfore totally dangerouse ie. exposed conductive parts, this is one of a number of many problems. The manager is at the point where he is ready to get the pub closed until the place is made safe and wants to know who he can report this to (annonamously) who will have the power to force the owners to make the place safe.

He could report to the licensing authority, the fire service or environmental health all of whom have an interest in safety in public buildings. Whether the brewery would take any notice of him shutting the pub till they do something about the state of the place is open for discussion because they will still want their rent from him on a weekly/monthly basis.

He could report to the licensing authority, the fire service or environmental health all of whom have an interest in safety in public buildings. Whether the brewery would take any notice of him shutting the pub till they do something about the state of the place is open for discussion because they will still want their rent from him on a weekly/monthly basis.
Was gonna say similar Trev. But it may just force the brewery into selling it up for redevelopment if there's no chance of a license being granted for it. :(

There are lots o people he could report it to:

HSE might be a good place to start (safety of employees etc)

Licensing Dept at the local council (safety of punters)

He should really think about this though, he could well be out of a job and if he lives in the pub homeless if they shut it down.

An EICR needs to be carried out.....this needs to be ordered by the owner.....an owner usually only orders an EICR when their insurance company insist.
Surely sorting the ceiling rose is a 5 minute job even for a Electrical Trainee.......cant you do it for a pint?

So whats so serious that the place should be closed ? dodgy pool table light ?
Report it to
a. liscensing dept at local council
b. brewery
c. insurance company.

Thanks Trev
He has told the brewery but they seem to be dragging their feet, ie the message has been passed to the area mager to themaintenance to the blah blah blaht etc. I will suggest Enviromental health .

Pubs are notorious for having bad electrical installations, I've worked in lots and found things that are truly appalling

There are lots o people he could report it to:

HSE might be a good place to start (safety of employees etc)

Licensing Dept at the local council (safety of punters)

He should really think about this though, he could well be out of a job and if he lives in the pub homeless if they shut it down.

Yes if he is making a good living he could maybe have the more urgent problems addressed himself. Pubs are usually a nightmare of mis mash of wiring additions and defective fittings and the like. Once closed it may never re-open.

Pubs are notorious for having bad electrical installations, I've worked in lots and found things that are truly appalling

I was about to say...
Has anyone ever seen a pub that didn't have a total mess of a wiring system, cos I havn't. Its all part of the fun of going out on the lash.

Even the modern town centre bars where the young uns go are a nightmare

Thanks Trev
He has told the brewery but they seem to be dragging their feet, ie the message has been passed to the area mager to themaintenance to the blah blah blaht etc. I will suggest Enviromental health .
The brewery would normally give him a budget for such work. Giving him an idea of costs to rectify it would be a good start (at least he'll have something to approach the brewery with then).

HSE, Simple. If they're concerned at what they find they'll issue a rectification doo dah with a time period to get things resolved. If they don't then fines or even closure could be imposed.

The beauty with the HSE is ANYONE can report it anonymously knowing that it will get acted upon.

Hi all
The manager of my local has been begging the owners to do something about the state of the wiring in the pub, I am, as some would say a Electrical Trainee DI so know nothing on the regs regarding pubs. I have seen an open ceiling rose with a cable extended to the light over the pool table, this ceiling rose is in easy reach of an extended arm and therfore totally dangerouse ie. exposed conductive parts, this is one of a number of many problems. The manager is at the point where he is ready to get the pub closed until the place is made safe and wants to know who he can report this to (annonamously) who will have the power to force the owners to make the place safe.
well for a start wether or not it can be reached is neither here nor there....its a (1) for a start as placing out of reach would not apply to an area occupied by unskilled/uninstructed person/s not under supervision.....

Reply to problem in the pub in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock