Discuss problem landlord in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Doomed

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Im trying to keep up with paper work from my hospital bed just using my mobile, but I could do with a few pointers to do with a problem landlords inspection.
Did the work via an estate agent (we do all thier work) but this particular landlord has kicked off and called us disreputable and trying to generate more work via the EICR when he claims that 10 years ago he had a electrician make sure it was all OK.
The only C2's we listed that need fixing was that the immersion thermastat did not have a thermal cut out and should be replaved and that one pendant in a cupboard had old single insulated fabric flex drop and should be changed.
Oh, and he was not happy that we said some of the wiring was up to 50 years old (multicored tinned copper cable, late 60's to early 70's I believe) as the flat was converted in the late 80's so 'it can't be older'

As I have no easy access to the our and building regs can someone post me ant relavant reg numbers or links to support our C2's please that I can then forward to the estate agent.

Many thanks.

(I should be out of hospital by the wekend, but i'm trying to keep on top of things)
(and i'm also a bit bored.....)

Hi - I hope you feel better soon !
Here‘s a link to a HSE doc that talks about the need to have a second cutout in an immersion heater and a quote.

“Since 01/04/2004, the fitting of such a feature has been recommended in relation to any repair, replacement or installation work on domestic immersion heaters (British Standard BS EN 60335-2-73:2003 ‘Household and similar electrical appliances - Safety : Particular requirements for fixed immersion heaters' refers).“

Electrical Safety First - Best Practice Guide 4
But;
1. Is the cold water tank plastic, if not then C3
2. Is the flex (unsheated) accessible to the touch (guess not without getting a pair of steps) or likely to come into contact with metalwork? If No then C3.

Im trying to keep up with paper work from my hospital bed just using my mobile, but I could do with a few pointers to do with a problem landlords inspection.
Did the work via an estate agent (we do all thier work) but this particular landlord has kicked off and called us disreputable and trying to generate more work via the EICR when he claims that 10 years ago he had a electrician make sure it was all OK.
The only C2's we listed that need fixing was that the immersion thermastat did not have a thermal cut out and should be replaved and that one pendant in a cupboard had old single insulated fabric flex drop and should be changed.
Oh, and he was not happy that we said some of the wiring was up to 50 years old (multicored tinned copper cable, late 60's to early 70's I believe) as the flat was converted in the late 80's so 'it can't be older'

As I have no easy access to the our and building regs can someone post me ant relavant reg numbers or links to support our C2's please that I can then forward to the estate agent.

Many thanks.

(I should be out of hospital by the wekend, but i'm trying to keep on top of things)
for the costs involved in those remedials, what's he moaning at. it's 1 hour labour to fix.

Electrical Safety First - Best Practice Guide 4
But;
1. Is the cold water tank plastic, if not then C3
2. Is the flex (unsheated) accessible to the touch (guess not without getting a pair of steps) or likely to come into contact with metalwork? If No then C3.

1) It is a fully sealed system I think, unless there is a header tank in a small loft that I could not see
2) Its in a low cupboard set in the eaves, not even standing room, looks left over pre conversion so is quite touchable
[automerge]1594286952[/automerge]
for the costs involved in those remedials, what's he moaning at. it's 1 hour labour to fix.
I was suprised too, apparently he is 'some legal bod' and they have problems all the time with his properties, to be quite honest I'm tempted to offer to fix the 2 issues for materials only to keep him quite and make us look good to the estate agent
[automerge]1594287115[/automerge]
Hi - I hope you feel better soon !
Here‘s a link to a HSE doc that talks about the need to have a second cutout in an immersion heater and a quote.

“Since 01/04/2004, the fitting of such a feature has been recommended in relation to any repair, replacement or installation work on domestic immersion heaters (British Standard BS EN 60335-2-73:2003 ‘Household and similar electrical appliances - Safety : Particular requirements for fixed immersion heaters' refers).“

Thank you.

Was a stone built up in my small intestine! apparently rare, aren't I lucky.
Keyhole surgury has got rid of it, just got to wait until they say I can go home and rest, they have taken all the tubes out of my nose and unspeakable bits so feeling more comfy now.

By 'fully sealed' you mean pressurised system so no water tank? so C3 Obviously if ever replaced in the future it would need to comply.
If cupboard is that low then yes touchable - C2

Get well soon!
thank you for your thoughts
[automerge]1594288514[/automerge]
By 'fully sealed' you mean pressurised system so no water tank? so C3 Obviously if ever replaced in the future it would need to comply.
If cupboard is that low then yes touchable - C2
OK, the NICEIC just gives the option of C2, will correct this with humble apologies

Can you give a reg number to quote about the single insulation please?

OK, the NICEIC just gives the option of C2, will correct this with humble apologies

Can you give a reg number to quote about the single insulation please?

Ok, I normally go by the Electrical Safety First guidelines, NICEIC and NAPIT etc. for example may all offer differing advice which doesn't help!!!

Sorry don't have regs book with me at mo as out at work.
[automerge]1594289950[/automerge]
But do have the OSG which refers to reg. 521.10.1 but no necessarily sheathing specifically, only conduit and trunking as a suitable means of providing protection for non-sheathed insulated conductors.

Last edited:

Many thanks.

G/Do you have access to the 10 year old, or any testing results, ask your Landlord for details of the tests he said were done, he may change his tune somewhat.

I was suprised too, apparently he is 'some legal bod' and they have problems all the time with his properties, to be quite honest I'm tempted to offer to fix the 2 issues for materials only to keep him quite and make us look good to the estate agent
No, because he will only get worse and demand more. I won't comment any further as it will end up in me being banned for various reasons... ? :D

And as an update I sent an email to the estate agent saying that the thermostat was only actually a C3 but highly recommended fix but the flex was still a C2 and the wiring was definately of the age I had stated, I expected more hassles, but the owner said that he was happy with my clarifications and has asked for all the recommendations to be undertaken.

I just thought WTF and will get one of the other lads to do it ASAP before he changes his mind.

People, don't understand them.

You're leaving yourself wide open by changing that. It will only further convince him that you were trying to do him.

Nothing wrong with the C2 for that.

Does the provision of an overtemp cutout in the immersion heater fall under bs7671?

As far as I know it doesn't and therfore isn't a concern of the EICR and so shouldn't be coded at all.

Does the provision of an overtemp cutout in the immersion heater fall under bs7671?

As far as I know it doesn't and therfore isn't a concern of the EICR and so shouldn't be coded at all.
maybe not, but i would certainly put a comment on the EICR or even on the invoice,, firstly
to advise client that it's a safety issue, and secondly as a CYA.

Reply to problem landlord in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net