Discuss Problem LED lighting in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

Tom@tte

Hi guys,
I'm hoping there'll be someone out there that could help me on a problem thats occurring with some LED lighting I've installed...
I recently re-wired a large premises of which I installed 4 main lighting mains due to the size of the property.
The problem I'm getting denotes only to the kitchen, dinning room and entrance hallway lighting which is nearest to the new fuse board.
There are 36 no JCC 7w LED recessed lights running throughout the 3 rooms in total switched by Zano LED grid switch dimmers. The maximum on one dimmer is 8 recessed lights (56w) and the mains are switch fed by 1.0 PVC t+e.
The problem I'm getting is that the lights flicker either constantly or slightly all of the time (obviously worse at night)even with the dimmers not being touched. If you adjust the dimmers on any of the circuit then you also get lights beginning to flicker in the opposite rooms?
Ive been in touch with Zano and JCC who both blame each other, one blaming the lights for having the driver on top of the fitting and the other saying it's because of the dimmers creating noise on the circuit?
I've been in touch with a helpful technician at surge protection who advised to fit a surge arrester with built in high frequency filter... My trouble though also is where to fit this and how many would I need as at £110 a pop they're not cheap.
any advice or solutions from you guys would be greatly received as this is really starting to do my head in now

cheers guys

Tom

i'd start with a snubber or two. across S/L and N of the affected circuit. snubbers are only a couple of quid apiece.

Thanks for your reply could you explain what u mean by snubber? Haven't come across this before

Cheers

Thanks for your reply could you explain what u mean by snubber? Haven't come across this before

Cheers[/QUOTE

snubber is usually a small encapsulater R/C network. filters out transients and induced voltages. try googling snubber ( electrical)

is 2 way switching involved anywhere on the LED circuit?

It is induced voltage causing the flickers. It is common where you have long cables runs and 2 way switching. With filament lamps, you'd never notice them flickering, as the element would only heat up a fraction to disperse the energy, but CFL's and LED lamps have circuits inside them which will cause the lamps to flicker.

It is induced voltage causing the flickers. It is common where you have long cables runs and 2 way switching. With filament lamps, you'd never notice them flickering, as the element would only heat up a fraction to disperse the energy, but CFL's and LED lamps have circuits inside them which will cause the lamps to flicker.

Thanks Alan, would this also be affected by the dimmers being inline?
I've done a bit of research and danlers do an inline filter would you say something like this would help prevent the flickering? How would you go about rectifying it yourself?

cheers

Reply to Problem LED lighting in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock