Discuss Problem with a Periodic Inspection in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

Steve Flex

Hi All,

Can anybody give me some advice regarding a periodic inspection that I carried out recently. I went to the property in question and found that one of the circuits for the sockets, controlled three hard wired smokes and a Varitas house alarm.

Every time I switched off the mains, it triggered the alarm and smokes which meant I was unable to carry out the inspection. The owner had no paperwork for the alarm and they said they never use it. I looked to see if there was an isolation switch but there was nothing. Am I right in thinking there is an engineer code to turn it off to carry out maintenance? And when you did isolate i,t would you just send 250v through the circuit in this instance, for an insulation resistance test, as I am unable to remove the load? Baring in mind that it is on a socket circuit. Any ideas?

Thanks

Hi The alarm sounds like the battery in the panel is duff,and the sounder is self activating.If this is the case you may have to dis the sounder temp or ignore.The smokes should not trigger though,or are they just bleeping.Dont do insulation test on either,berore disconecting.

install local isolation-but better if smoke alarm was was seperate circuit or can be linked in to light circuit as skts could be affected by rcd rip

rcd trip sorry

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Problem with a Periodic Inspection in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock