Discuss Problem with Home Electrics or Appliance - please help in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

leo1

Hi guys, I hope you can help me. I am an engineer but not on electricity, so I apologise if I am using incorrect terminology. Today for the first time, while my dishwasher was on, I heard a clicking noise and it stopped. The noise came from the relevant MCB on the consumer unit (which also feeds the integrated Fridge and Extractor fan in my kitchen), as it interrupted the electricity to the circuit. I put the wall-switch for the dishwasher in the off position and went back to the consumer unit to restore electricity on that MCB. Power came back on on the Fridge and Extractor. Then I tried the wall-switch for the dishwasher and power stayed on. I set the program again on the dishwasher, closed the door and waited. After its initial draining of the remaining water from the previously failed cycle it sounded as if it started to work like normal again but it immediately caused the power to go off again. I have tried a few times and repeatedly obtained the same behaviour. I should also mention that the dishwasher has been emitting a mild burnt-like smell every time it was in use for the last few months, the smell similar to when an electronic component burns on a PCB (printed circuit board). So, do you think I have a problem with the dishwasher or with the connectivity to it and how can I ascertain which one of the two it is? I am worried about calling an electrician who would charge me to then tell me the problem is my dishwasher when I could have just replaced it for say, £200.
Is there anything else I could try? The damn dishwasher is integrated so I cannot see behind it or how it is connected...

Many thanks

Leo

An electrician will be able to tell you for certain what the problem is very quickly and shouldn't cost too much.
it could be a bad connection at the plug or socket behind the unit so best get the fault confirmed before lashing out £200 for nothing

sounds like the dishwaher, but getting a sprks in to confirm or disprove should not cost more than £40-£50, so IMO, that is the best way forward.

Can you buy an integrated dishwasher for 200 quid?? Hmmmm, ....I don't think so!! Try nearer doubling the 200 and you'll get somewhere near it!! lol!!

well id say its the dishwasher, ive heard of these things going on fire, mines hasnt but my tumble dryer nearly did, set me smoke alarms off.. as you say you have unplugged it and it goes back to normal, hint hint

my dishwasher is 60 years old and still going strong. she's a good cook as well.

Thank you both. £40-50 seems like an awful lot of money for ascertaining a fault (rather than fixing one). Would you be able to give me any tips on what I can look for to diagnose the fault? Is it worth dislodging the dishwasher from its supporting casing to see whats happening behind it?

In Comet you can buy both integrated and stand alone dishwashers for £200 and below too. That is the first site I checked, I can therefore assume there are other sites with even better offers too. And by the way I am not talking about indesit or other cheap brands, I saw a Baumatic for £229, integrated...

an awful lot??? try getting your car diagnosed at a main dealer £90+VAT, your solicitor to see you for an hour and write a letter £275 + VAT. get real.

In Comet you can buy both integrated and stand alone dishwashers for £200 and below too. That is the first site I checked, I can therefore assume there are other sites with even better offers too. And by the way I am not talking about indesit or other cheap brands, I saw a Baumatic for £229, integrated...

Must be seconds then, or maybe what they call ''Grey'' goods!!

straight away thats the dishwasher.

You say its been smelling for the last few months - clear give away
You say all works fine when the wall switch for the dishwasher is off (double isolation switch - I hope!) - another clear sign its the dishwasher

Turn the dishwasher off and try it then - if the MCB stays on and does not trip, thats confirmed it.

Buy a new dishwasher and that will solve all your problems.

Otherwise send it to a repair, but if you say its smelt like its burning then Im sure theres a bigger problem, most probably the circuit board has gone, and they are more than the dishwasher in the first place.

The clicking you heard would probably have been the relays clicking, due to a lack of power.

I wouldn't mess with it if you dont know what your doing - if you do take the back off and have a look at the circuit board and all electrical components you can see, use your nose and see where the burning is coming from - MAKE SURE ITS UNPLUGGED!!! both on the water and mains!!!!

To be completely honest as Leo has said hes not a sparky, and probably no experience as hes asking for advice on what to look for - no offence

Buy a new one from comit (as said £200 - mine cost £220 with free delivery!)

Dont mess with it, water and electric do not mix well at all!

If it was mine and I wasn't a sparky, I'd probably check the warranty of the device, if it was no longer under warranty then I'd make sure the power was off and the device was disconnected, then open it up and take a quick look for obvious signs of burning or loose wires hanging around.

or get your friendly local pikey to nick it for scrap, then claim off insurance.

Just leave the old unit by the gate, I’ll guarantee it’s gone by morning.

Just had my lounge re carpeted, nowhere to store the excess underlay or carpet so put it in the garden. Phoned the council to take it away, and then phoned the council to say don’t bother. It had gone in the time of a phone call!

Thanks for the time to read and for your input, with the exception of a minority of you who showed resistance to help, clearly because you cannot tolerate the fact that some issues can be resolved (or at the very least assessed) by intelligent individuals, not just paid-for electricians. The Hotpoint dishwasher I have came with the house so I don’t know how old it is, but my guess is 3-4 years old as the rubber seals seem a bit worn. So, a change would be in order any way.

@ telectrix = you failed to quote how much footballers or celebrities are paid to do little things too. Yes, I think £50 is too much for a 5 minute assessment which does not actually resolve any problems. Good luck getting any business with that attitude.

@Engineer54 = your surprise at the prices I quoted clearly shows your ignorance. When you don’t know what you are saying it is always best to keep quiet, you only embarrass yourself. Just to enlighten you, know that you can get first class goods at Comet or any similar UK store for very little this days. And have you ever heard of online shopping? I think not, look it up, you will find that prices for white goods bought online are often even cheaper than retailers on the high street. Or do you need to challenge my price quotation because that’s how you treat your customers, i.e. by telling them rubbish like "well, if you need to replace the dishwasher it will cost you £400 minimum". You are the example of why I am afraid to call a person to come into my house to fix things who has not been highly recommended. Good trademen suffer from the dishonest and ignorant ones out there.

@ telectrix = you failed to quote how much footballers or celebrities are paid to do little things too. Yes, I think £50 is too much for a 5 minute assessment which does not actually resolve any problems. Good luck getting any business with that attitude.

Leo I think you need an attitude change!

We are electricians, hence we all (I hope) have paid a very large amount of money to get where we are not including how much we have spent on tools.

As an idea I am just starting up and I have already spent £7,000.00. That includes all the tools, extra courses (17th Edition and PAT) as well as the van, insurance, supplies as in cables and the registration with Napit!

Do you actually know how long it will take to assess your item correctly! - You say it looks a little worn it might need replacing - big word MIGHT!!!

I will tell you now that if you have smelt burning then the circuit board is fried! and changing a seal would not make any difference - a seal would certainly not make the MCB trip!

Plus we charge by the hour even if we are only there for 5 minuets! By the time we have gotten there, the fuel, the insurance, the wear and tear on our vehicles.

I charge £25 call out which includes the 1st hour as I live in the middle of town anything outside gets extra charges, the £15 per hour - as Im new to it all and dont have the experience of some on here and doing the trade.

Yes there are some cowboys from the wild west who would rip everyone off but there are some very decent people on here as well.

I will take you just got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

It’s not just 5 minutes is it, you are been naive.

Fair enough if you have an electrician who lives in your spare room.

Reply to Problem with Home Electrics or Appliance - please help in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net