Discuss Problem with phone extension in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

Lofty

Hi All,
Not sure if this is the right forum for this post as it's for a phone.

The issue is as follows. Cust asked us to move his master socket to the incoming BT line as someone previous had put it in the middle of the chain of 4 sockets. All was well and we have a dial tone on ALL sockets and we can receive calls on 3 out of the 4 as one socket will not ring. The cust had complained about their broadband dropping in and out on this socket and they do have a burglar alarm also hardwired to the phone system i.e. no extension socket.

All sockets are wired to 2 & 5 as 3 was the old ring line for the oldfashioned bell phones and having this connected slows up the broadband ( BT do not connect terminal 3 now either)

All sockets were tested using the same handpiece and the offending faceplate has been swapped out twice, the master once, and we also tried another pair of wires in case of a wiring problem. Thsi is a very old house and it is not clear as to the length of runs etc. I'm thinking maybe a voltage drop on the ring line on this socket ? so might try to 'double' up the pairs. Anyone had this problem before :confused:

Cheers,
Lofty

Problem could be linked to the Burglar Alarm hard wired in for all broadband on a BT line a Microfilter needs to be applied to ALL sockets and equipment so for the 4 faceplates anything plugged in will need a Microfilter and the Alarm will need to be filtered.

Hi Blusparx,

Agree with thought on microfilters and did look into this a bit. Some websites say filters to be fitted to ALL sockets regardless if being used whilst others including the customers ISP say only fit a filter if equipment is connected ???
I've always said fit them regardless to reduce possible crosstalk on the line.

Think we'll have to talk to alarm guy next week.

cheers,
Lofty

Cheers,
Lofty

Reply to Problem with phone extension in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net