Discuss Problem with rcd protection - fridge in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello, I've got a problem. My house is semi detacted and has a garage which is down the garden. Currently theres a socket inside the garage which is not RCD protected coming from the house. My thought is that it is dangerous and want to change it. but the problem is that we have a fridge-freezer connected to it and don't want to put it on RCD protection incase it trips and all the food will go bad. How can I overcome this problem?

regards Admin

hi,

i have just read about rcd's and unwanted tripping, it may be possible to purchase a socket outlet to replace your current one in the garage, replace it with a rcd socket 's' type. the 's' type has a time delay built in for surges and ignores the fault for a short period so it does't trip out immediately.

hope that has helped

daz

hi,

i have just read about rcd's and unwanted tripping, it may be possible to purchase a socket outlet to replace your current one in the garage, replace it with a rcd socket 's' type. the 's' type has a time delay built in for surges and ignores the fault for a short period so it does't trip out immediately.

hope that has helped

daz

I've never come across an S type t/d srcd, if there is one you may find you wouldnt meet .4s dissconection time for a socket ;)

What I think you may be on about are latching & non-latching srcd's

Latching = the rcd will stay closed once it has been set, it will only trip when a earth fault is detected . In the event of a power cut the rcd will stay latched in the closed position, hence the reason they are used in the commercial enviroment on such things as controlling refrigeration units.

Non-latching = The rcd will also trip in the event of a fault or when the power supply is lost, but will need to be reset when power is re-energised. so they are useful in applications where the sudden restoration of power would pose a safety issue with machinery/power tools are plugged in.

One way round the problem of the freezer & rcd would be to change the socket for a switch fused connection unit (SFCU) remove plug & hardwire freezer into SFCU, freezer now becomes fixed appliance & there will be no requirment for rcd protection to a socket :D.

The problem is simply solved by firstly making the 'GARAGE' an independant radial circuit!!! Then put the circuit on 30Ma 'RCCBO' Instead of an 'RCD' This will eliminate the problem of nuisance tripping. The only way your fridge freezer would trip than is if it had a major fault, which would cause the breaker to trip anyway!!!!!!!!!! I know 'RCCBO' Are more expensive but their a lot better than a 'RCD'. The Future of Consumer Units is every circuit on a 'RCCBO' Even lighting Circuits

i may have missed the point here, how will a 30ma RCBO eliminate the problem of nuisance tripping? Its just a 30ma rcd with an integral overcurrent/overload protection element. it still has to meet 200ms at IdeltaN, and 40ms at 5IdeltaN.

I'm not being 'arsy' but do you know something i dont?

Buy er new fridge. . . .this is the problem we all encounter fit a new board to a hoose comply wiff all the regs bla bla bla. . . . .but the owners have old electrical bits they have had for years and never had any problems [tight gits have never ad em tested] then its ,oh the rcd keeps tripping every time our dorris puts on the 1950's washing machine, well sorry but yer get ma drift, the rcd detected a fault ,its doin wot its pose ta do . . . .goin down the pub. . . . .:D

think it would be good practice to install an RCD on the circuit supplying the fridge,therefore providing protection to the wiring and accessories not just the load connected to it.As for nuisance tripping i really dont consider this an issue.In the reality of things all equipment outside the equipotential zone should be protected by the RCD,and more often than not you will in the shed taking or place food into the freezer and would be able to monitor the effectiveness of the RCD,i.e. whether or not it is still in circuit or not.Overall if the power were to fail due to operation of the RCD for whatever reason then surely it is best to isolate the supply to circuit in use at the source of the supply.Making it harder to re-energize,giving more time to isolate and repair then re-energize.

Hello, I've got a problem. My house is semi detacted and has a garage which is down the garden. Currently theres a socket inside the garage which is not RCD protected coming from the house. My thought is that it is dangerous and want to change it. but the problem is that we have a fridge-freezer connected to it and don't want to put it on RCD protection incase it trips and all the food will go bad. How can I overcome this problem?

regards Admin

Why not change the socket for a Fused Spur then not protected by RCD but can't be used for anything else.

Last edited:
Buy er new fridge. . . .this is the problem we all encounter fit a new board to a hoose comply wiff all the regs bla bla bla. . . . .but the owners have old electrical bits they have had for years and never had any problems [tight gits have never ad em tested] then its ,oh the rcd keeps tripping every time our dorris puts on the 1950's washing machine, well sorry but yer get ma drift, the rcd detected a fault ,its doin wot its pose ta do . . . .goin down the pub. . . . .:D

well said!

Luke, not everything will HAVE to be on RCD

Cables installed less than 5 cm from the surface must be protected by earthed metallic covering OR be protected by 30mA RCD - iff installed in the safe zones (vertical/horizontal from sockets etc etc) Outside the zones they have to have earthed metalic covering.

So it IS possible to have non-RCD circuits, just unlikely!!!!

Reply to Problem with rcd protection - fridge in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock