Discuss Problem with very occasional ELCB trippage in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

dooper

Hi all

My problem is that my CU is about 30 years old. It is the grey metal "wylex?) one with the main incomer switch on the right (ELCB) with the little yellow test button above it.

The original rewireable carts have been replaced with MCBs.

The problem is that occasionally ,maybe 2 or 3 times a year, the main incomer will trip off. Attempts have been made to find the root cause but none has been found.

This is a problem as sometimes this has happened whilst we have been away for more than a day or so resulting in a defrosted fridge/freezer.

An electrician suggested that even if i had a new CU fitted, the problem probably wouldnt go away and indeed could worsen due to higher levels of sensitivity of newer CUs.

I wonder then if i could have a separate supply run from before the incomer input which could feed a socket and which i could power the fridge from thus ensuring that it stayed on if the main CU incomer clicked off?

This and any other solutions/suggestions welcome !

Hi,

The best thing would be to track down the cause of the intermittent fault which is causing the ELCB to operate.

However, if you did want to take steps to limit the nuisance tripping, a new consumer unit with dual RCDs or individual RCBOs would reduce the number of circuits affected.

A good electrician should be able to track the fault down, and should be able to advise you about the options for a replacement consumer unit if you want to upgrade it.

Thanks..well the new CU route is something ive considered. Its weird as its only 2 or 3 times a year so im caught between throwing money at a new CU and potentially exacerbating the issue (or maybe curing it ?) or putting in some kind of fix just for the fridge/freezer.

A good electrician should be able to cure the fault that causes the intermittent tripping.

A new consumer unit can be configured so the the freezer circuit is on it's own RCBO using either a high integrity consumer unit or a standard unit with an RCBO for each circuit.

A good electrician will be able to explain further and offer you the options available.

Thanks chaps..well my post code is SK. I'll have a think as to what the options are. To complicate matters slightly, the CU is of course inside the building and housed inside a standard white electrical meter box, the sort of surface meter box you might see outside a property which may house a service fuse and meter..but its inside and the meter is also in it but facing outward so that its viewable through one of those openable flap things in the external brickwork. I'm guessing this restricts the dimensions of the new CU which has to fit in the box and hopefully match up with the installation tails.

They're not uncommon. You can either get a modern skeleton board to fit inside the cabinet or locate a new consumer unit nearby depending on the layout of the property.

dooper , SK postcode is within reach of me. i'll be happy to call round and advise on the best way forward without spending unecessarily. pm me tomorrow with a closer location.

A fault which only appears 2 or 3 times a year may very well be an absoloute buggerance to track down and fix.
my thoughts too.

it could be something like several intermittent appliances all with a low level of leakage current that only combines to be enough on rare occasions when it all happens at once, eg fridges, and freezers on start up, plus washing machine, computer fan.... or degraded cable that only had enough earth leakage when the cellar walls got damp after it rained heavily.

Good luck.

Reply to Problem with very occasional ELCB trippage in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net