Discuss Problems fitting Fused Timer Spur Switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I purchased a 7 day timer fused spur switch to replace a standard fused spur on a downstairs wc electric towel radiator. It seemed like it would be a simply swap out. However, it looks like the water supply earth bonding is connected into here and uses a thicker earth cable than the new spur switch can cater for, as the existing fused spur connections are inadequate. I have included images showing the existing spur switch and new timer switch and connections. Any suggestions on how I can resolve this? Choc blocks were originally there but the wago clips are simply there to protect the connections whilst I ponder a fix. Thanks for your help.

TL;DR
Replacing fused spur with timer version, but earth bonding in original spur! Help!

Attachments

• 4E99FCBF-0E93-4065-8282-9E32A713910F.jpeg
    118.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 36652725-C6CC-4FD5-8C66-315166DF4AB4.jpeg
    97.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 34373681-C5F1-4BE6-BB54-604E4CA413A3.jpeg
    91.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 14F1363C-C449-4F9A-9289-9728F3DA8FC2.jpeg
    68.5 KB · Views: 22
You can put the 3 earth connections, plus one for the timer, into a 5-way level Wago connector. Possibly the smaller 221-415 type. Assuming the back box is big enough (or change it for a deeper one, if needed).

I did also wonder if this timer is a Class II device with an earth terminal for convenient only i.e. not actually needed, you could also check the instructions that came with it to see if that is the case. But in any case, the other 3 earths do need connecting together.

You can put the 3 earth connections, plus one for the timer, into a 5-way level Wago connector. Possibly the smaller 221-415 type. Assuming the back box is big enough (or change it for a deeper one, if needed).

I did also wonder if this timer is a Class II device with an earth terminal for convenient only i.e. not actually needed, you could also check the instructions that came with it to see if that is the case. But in any case, the other 3 earths do need connecting together.

Thanks for your reply. I will give this a try.

Reactions: DPG

Reply to Problems fitting Fused Timer Spur Switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net