Discuss Problems with easycert licence transfer in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Andy78

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi all, just a quick cry for help in case anyone has been in the same situation.
My old PC went kaput lately so I have purchased a new laptop to keep me going and for on site use. I need to transfer the licence from my old copy of easycert to my new one on my new device as well as transfer the database.

This is usually a simple process apparently ... open easycert on old device.....backup datatbase and deregister........insert info into new copy of easycert on new device. But my old device is kaput and I can't do this. I have access to all the data and files on my old hard drive though.

Tysoft technical have asked me to pay for a years customer care and they will give me a new registration key for my new computer, but cannot guarantee that they will be able to do anything with transferring the database :anguished:
This obviously has me a bit worried and I'm just wondering if anyone can offer any help before I do anything irreversible that may mean the loss of access to my old database. Any ideas ?

Ouch ...

Not very helpful supplier .....

Do you not back up this data?

Yes, it is all backed up in pdf format. This happens when I finalise a cert.
The database is very useful though as it contains client information, my custom templates, and previous certs, all for use within the programme. It will be a time consuming pain in the proverbial to set up again.

Have you made any backups of your database and templates?
This would be in zip file and done from within the software itself.

Have you made any backups of your database and templates?
This would be in zip file and done from within the software itself.
Nope, I was unaware until now I could do this, and can't get into the old software now to do this.

Your old pc may be kaput, but could the hard disc be read ?

Do you know any it geeks?

I keep a pet geek in my under stairs cupboard, but they have been unable to help so far. The hard disc can indeed be read and all the info accessed, but the programme cannot be launched from it.

Hence why cloud based software is the way to go.

It doesn't protect you from issues at all. I have heard of problems with cloud based software on large scales. I know NICEIC had huge problems recently where none of their members could access the cert software.

I keep a pet geek in my under stairs cupboard, but they have been unable to help so far. The hard disc can indeed be read and all the info accessed, but the programme cannot be launched from it.
If the hard disk can be read I'd get everything that relates to Easycert copied off it.

Given you will need a new license anyway, I'd pay that fee and see if they can assist you in what files you need to be looking for.

I'm not home until Sunday or would have a browse through my Easy Cert folders to try and see what relates to what.

It doesn't protect you from issues at all. I have heard of problems with cloud based software on large scales. I know NICEIC had huge problems recently where none of their members could access the cert software.

My complete business is in the cloud. NICEIC may go down but the data is secure and fully restored when sorted.

To just drop a laptop and loose everything for good is surely not a good position to be in.

If the hard disk can be read I'd get everything that relates to Easycert copied off it.
Yep, done that so far

Given you will need a new license anyway, I'd pay that fee and see if they can assist you in what files you need to be looking for.
Yep, this is my next course of action, was just looking for alternative ideas first seeing as they said they could give no advice or guarantees about recovering any info

I'm not home until Sunday or would have a browse through my Easy Cert folders to try and see what relates to what.

My complete business is in the cloud. NICEIC may go down but the data is secure and fully restored when sorted.

To just drop a laptop and loose everything for good is surely not a good position to be in.

I haven't lost everything for good. All my data is double backed up on SSD drives to minimise the risk of drive failure. I back up regularly. All my customer data and finalised certificates are included in this backup.
This thread is asking about the specific database used by my certificate software which was not backed up by me as I did not fully know the functionality of my certificate software.

Thanks for your input but I have no intentions of changing my business habits to cloud storage. Nothing is immune from failure or interference, and local storage of data is the way I prefer to work.

I haven't lost everything for good. All my data is double backed up on SSD drives to minimise the risk of drive failure. I back up regularly. All my customer data and finalised certificates are included in this backup.
This thread is asking about the specific database used by my certificate software which was not backed up by me as I did not fully know the functionality of my certificate software.

Thanks for your input but I have no intentions of changing my business habits to cloud storage. Nothing is immune from failure or interference, and local storage of data is the way I prefer to work.

Of course, it is your business to keep in the dark ages.

I did or used to use the Certsure certification. Had a few pc failures in the past, that caused headaches. But I also kept copies of these certs on my pc, so I had separate access to them.

To Andy, if its going to be royal pain in the arse, you could employ the service of some hard drive recovery service, albeit its bloody expensive.

You could put the hard drive into your new laptop and operate as normal? Failing that there will be a file on your old hard drive that you can copy across to your new hard drive. Failing that get Acronis and clone your old hard drive to your new hard drive and you will be operating as normal in no time. You would need a hard drive enlosure to connect to your laptop most likely by USB. It is perfectly possible to solve this problem by the above and there are other approaches. Acronis is available as a free trial and you can clone one system.
I must say it is very disingenous of the tech support, for your system, to ask for more money in this situation and sounds very much like extortion as you must pay to get your information. It puts me off of the idea of that software.

Reply to Problems with easycert licence transfer in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net