Discuss Problems with IR test readings for my NICEIC inspection. in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

MisterX

Hi,
I'm having a bit of trouble getting my major works certs ready for the NIC chap to look at. My problem is my IR test results. I have replaced CU's in both my house and my parents house and just cannot seem to get a decent reading. Mum and Dad's Lights up/Down and Sockets up/Down all come back as 0.16Mohm.
I have only just done my Domestic installers course and am certain that i'm doing it correctly. All switches are closed and appliances and bulbs removed. When I join L+N and test them to E, I am getting >299 but individually they are low. Not too sure why i'm getting these readings on all four circuits.
My own house has readings of around 40-60 Mohms for most circuits but .36Mohm for my lighting circuit. I have a fan hard-connected to the light circuit in the downstairs bathroom so maybe thats it.
Any input you could give would be great as I'm desperate to get my major works certs up together and get registered so that I can eventually get started.
Cheers.

when you say individually,do you mean L/N?

When readings like this occur that are clearly unacceptable, the best action is to 'disect' the circuit and repeat the test. Disconnect them at the CU, go to the halfway point of the circuit and repeat the test. Then keep following in the direction of the low readings and you will eventually find the cause.

Widdler, thanks. I'll try that this weekend with mine but would you have any explanation why I would get the same 0.16Mohm on every circuit at my parents house. Seems odd!

i would suspect the testing, not the installation in that case. same faults on 2 sepatate installs seem weird

have you disconnected the circuits from the board and removed all lamps you could get low resaults if the lamps are in and the switches are on , an IR test should be carried out with the lamps out with the switch off and then with the switch on ,also any items such as PIRs ,fused spurs with neons in or electrical items that have not been un plugged will all give odd readings

Nick, My parents house is a 50's build and all of the sockets in that house have neons! Could this be the problem and if so, how do I get round it? Do I just record the LN-E reading? If so, would that be acceptable upon an NICEIC inspection?
Thanks again.

if you switch off all the sockets, the neons should then be out of circuit and that may be your problem

Nick, My parents house is a 50's build and all of the sockets in that house have neons! Could this be the problem and if so, how do I get round it? Do I just record the LN-E reading? If so, would that be acceptable upon an NICEIC inspection?
Thanks again.[/QUOTE
easyest way is to remove the tails N and L E joint the L and N together and test across them to the earth as you have said also check that nothing is plugged in and as telectirx has said ensure they are all switched off

Reply to Problems with IR test readings for my NICEIC inspection. in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net