Discuss Problems with newly Wired light not Turning on!! would like some advice please in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

maclean2404

hello im not a sparky but looking for a bit of help, but i know the basics

i wanted a light in my loft of my new house,

found a junction box close by, and took a 1.5 from it to my Switch which has L1 L2 L3

and another 1.5 from switch to the light,

can somebody please help me with the connections....?

I put the Live from the JB and the live from the Light into L1, so it had a feed, and then N from the JB into a connecter and the blue from the light into L2,

and at the moment there is power at both points but nuting coming on...where if i put the blues together it stays on all the time.....?

Any help is very much appreciated here

thanks

Guess some one has been using wrong colours. You say you know the basics but are you confident at what you are doing?..............All that said you really need to test and find out what is live and what is not, But please .....please if in doubt call someone qualified in. I know money is short ! but so is life.

found a junction box close by, and took a 1.5 from it to my Switch which has L1 L2 L3

I put the Live from the JB and the live from the Light into L1, so it had a feed, and then N from the JB into a connecter and the blue from the light into L2,

and at the moment there is power at both points but nuting coming on...where if i put the blues together it stays on all the time.....?

thanks

You should call a competent electrician, he/she will correct the problem and also check/correct what you have already installed.

A 1-way lighting circuit is 'the basics'.

hey guys, if i could afford to get somebody in i would, i have depts up to my eyes at the moment with moveing house and can hardly afford the basic things in life, sad times!

I have a tester, the 1.5 cumn from the JB, is 240v over live and neutral, just need to know the connections, and if mine are wrong.....?

if a pendant take from jb to light, blue in (N) side and Brown in middlethen take from middle to switch(com) and from l1 back to light (L) side. thats how i would throw it up, just remember to think how the circuit works.. <<<<<<<<list d the apprentice and for god sake good connections as are a house burner. no insulation in terminals.. or call a spark you know and give him tenner

right u want to put the red from your junction box into l1, the red from your light into l2 and put both youe blue wires into a connector block and that should be your problem solved.

so when its light tommorow FIRST SWITCH OFF ALL THE ELECTRIC and double check its off with you meter set on AC volts........next put your meter to ohms then try and check the continuity of the wires from the JB to the switch ....for this you will probably need to extend one of the leads of your multimeter you should if as you say know the basics be able to gain the info required to make the switch work. Please remember dont attempt this with the mains on, Ive stuck my neck out and gonna get shot down for this post but there ya go

Last edited by a moderator:
nope its just like a 2D fitting on the roof with L-N-E

all i have at the light, is L N E, and at the switch 2 browns and 2 blues,

2 earths which are in connecters!

i would if i new somebody, but i dont which sucks!

What i think you may find is that you are missing a neutral it may be black or blue what you have connected to could be a live thats not been identified it is very basic stuff as IQ has pointed out ,and if you have opened a jb up you need to be sure of what you are connecting to , if in any doubt call in a spark who will have it done in minuits

right u want to put the red from your junction box into l1, the red from your light into l2 and put both youe blue wires into a connector block and that should be your problem solved.
what sparky says sounds right, but be careful. isolate first.

ok guys will give this a go 2mororw and see how it goes, dont worry i always isolate, was up and down the house Stairs then the Loft stairs, trying to get the thing to work,

thanks

Not suprised boss!

You obviously don't know the very basics here. Although I would love to help, for safetys sake, ring you local friendly electrician!

Reply to Problems with newly Wired light not Turning on!! would like some advice please in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net