Discuss process of removing distributors fuse??? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

G

Guest112

Hi guys i started another thread about rewiring my house but forgot to ask about the removal of the distributors fuse. I know a lot of sparks who just cut the tags and remove the fuse but what is the process of doing this properly i know a phone call to the DNO will be required but do they come and do it or do you just need permission from them and just notification???

Also when i rewire my house do I change the tails from the cut out to the meter and from the meter to the db or just from the meter?? I'm unsure of whos responsible for this i know the distributor is only responsible up to the cutout but then is the supplier in charge up to the meter?

Silly simple questions to you guys sorry but I dont do domestic thanks in advance

Cutout`s DNO property mate so in theory you shouldn`t interere with it as its currently illegal to do so. However you could find yourself waiting for the DNO to come out and its a faff so most sparkys (after doing a risk assessment mind) will procede to pull it. Best to wear rubber soled boots and use VDE pliers though to pull the bullit.....don`t just grab it Peter without looking and assessing the risks first mate as if the fuse carrier is shot and you just grab it with bare hands....you could end up with a fist full of copper....and a fatal shock.......:shocked3:

i have the necessary protection mate my company actually put us on courses to pull fuses and a section of my firm we woek on is HV so safety isnt an issue but i appreciate the concern, So not my responsibility to pull the fuse then your saying? And what about the tails?

Hi guys i started another thread about rewiring my house but forgot to ask about the removal of the distributors fuse. I know a lot of sparks who just cut the tags and remove the fuse but what is the process of doing this properly i know a phone call to the DNO will be required but do they come and do it or do you just need permission from them and just notification???

Also when i rewire my house do I change the tails from the cut out to the meter and from the meter to the db or just from the meter?? I'm unsure of whos responsible for this i know the distributor is only responsible up to the cutout but then is the supplier in charge up to the meter?

Silly simple questions to you guys sorry but I dont do domestic thanks in advance

I personally would advise that you didn't cut either but contact the DNO responsible for your supply.
It appears quite common for sparkes to pull the service fuse, but then that's your call and you take the risks.
Under no circumstances should you cut the tags to the meter since now you have no proof that you haven't been steeling electricity.

The new book is now telling us for the first time that only a DNO cut out fuse can be pulled by a person authorized to do so Reg 537.1.3 and to my knowledge this is the first time ever in the regs this as been stipulated, so regardless of the DNO legal matter it is now against our regs to just pull the fuse.

The tails from the head to the meter are the DNO concern or now the suppliers. From the load side of the meter they are ours. You may find though that if an isolator switch is fitted by the supplier, then the tails from the meter to the switch is theres

Im considering calling the DNO and just getting them to install an isolator atleast then i know its just my responsibility and then isolation isnt a problem. I personally think that an isolator should be standard on all properties. Anyone ever done this and do you remember how much they charged?

THe eyelet the tag goes thru on the fuse breaks really easy!!
The tag isnt cut! Then fit your own isolator(£15) and then you can change the tails from ISO to 25mm jobs a gooden..... All tags in place
Or ring the DNO and they get there between 9-5 :) You ll spend atleast 3 hours getting thru to the right ppl to book this :)

Last edited by a moderator:
When you do pull it make sure EVERYTHING connected is switched off and fully isolated.

If you can't be bothered with this step, please get someone to video it.

When you do pull it make sure EVERYTHING connected is switched off and fully isolated.

If you can't be bothered with this step, please get someone to video it.

haha i dont think id pull a fuse under load conditions you seem to think ive never pulled a fuse before let me ask have you ever operated 33kv equpment or any HV equipment? I have im not asking how to pull a fuse im asking about the legal process

I pulled a fuse the other day after cutting a virtually brand new seal - as a matter of an emergency.

DNO had been in and moved the meter, connected up my new isolator and just a few days later the LIVE 25mm cable simply fell out of the isolator when I was standing near it.

I haven't reached for my cutters so quickly for years - and the customer was wondering what was going on!

I pulled a fuse the other day after cutting a virtually brand new seal - as a matter of an emergency.

DNO had been in and moved the meter, connected up my new isolator and just a few days later the LIVE 25mm cable simply fell out of the isolator when I was standing near it.

I haven't reached for my cutters so quickly for years - and the customer was wondering what was going on!
That's very poor mate, lucky escape there. We seem to be hearing more of these type of incidents now or is it just me thinking that?

Did you take a photo of this Murdock and write an accompanying a note of it as that sounds like they have someone doing work for them that they aint fit to be doing it...........

Did you take a photo of this Murdock and write an accompanying a note of it as that sounds like they have someone doing work for them that they aint fit to be doing it...........

No I didn't record it in any way, and I was there when the new connection was made, so I'm in no doubt that the right person did the screws up!

The thing with stranded though is even when it appeares tight it can easily become loose again just by trying to manipulate it into position so it always does to check terminations AFTER the cable is bent/brought into position ....

The thing with stranded though is even when it appeares tight it can easily become loose again just by trying to manipulate it into position so it always does to check terminations AFTER the cable is bent/brought into position ....

Agreed, but as it was the suppliers side of the isolation switch, it too had been sealed and thus I was unable to check the tightness!

Agreed, but as it was the suppliers side of the isolation switch, it too had been sealed and thus I was unable to check the tightness!
If it hasn`t been checked i would suggest they come out and make sure.....I suppose its like a PIR....where you inspect a percentage of a circuit as faults/poor workmanship tends to repeat itself throughout..........

Reply to process of removing distributors fuse??? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock